What's new

Jorma Kaukonen Recommendations Please (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Per Rachael's recommendation, I picked up the Blue Country Heart SACD. Nothing short of WOW! As a matter of fact, just listening to a few sound bytes from it on-line before purchasing sold me on the content, which is rare for me. I noticed a number of folks on the forum have been enlightened by Rachael wrt this album.

So now I want more Jorma. Would prefer recordings that are decent quality and highlight his playing, whether from his solo albums or otherwise. I am not familiar with Hot Tuna, but if his work is showcased well with them, that'll definitely work. I'm sold enough from just this one album that I purchased tickets for his Philly show in May.

Thanks.

Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Doug, you might start out with the first, S/T'ed, Hot Tuna album. Make sure you get the CD with the half dozen or so bonus cuts. Don't expect the killer acoustics that BLUE COUNTRY HEART has. Afterall, this is a 70's album and much of it is live and it's on CD. I also own a vinyl copy. On later Hot Tuna albums, Papa John Creach was added as the fiddler. BURGERS was an album I bought and liked too. I lost track of Jorma after Hot Tuna till BCH. I'm sure somebody around ths joint can point you towards some of his later work that I have not heard. I'm glad you got such a kick out of it. Best wishes!:)

LloydG

Auditioning
I also highly recommend Hot Tuna Live At Sweetwater Vol's 1 and 2. These are acoustic Hot Tuna at their best. There are also 2 live dvd's of Hot Tuna, one acoustic and 1 electric. They are both excellent.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
The newly re-mastered Quah is worth tracking down too. You get a couple of outstanding acoustic extras.

My brother & I enjoyed a local show a couple months ago and he recommends checking out some Rev Gary Davis.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Thanks all. BTW, I just borrowed Quah (2003 remaster) and Burgers (1996 remaster) from someone that I discovered has them.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks