What's new

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I view John Wick as a sort of Superhero in a highly fantasized comic book Wickverse. I think the filmmakers alluded to this in the extras on the first disc.

So I can suspend disbelief and enjoy all the hyper violence and semi invulnerability of John Wick without logic interfering. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw the first film and was underwhelmed. The problem (IMO) was that the Wick character was more or less invulnerable, which took away any suspense. He could just wade in to a room with 40 armed men and just mow them all down and not get a scrape on him, like he was Superman fighting in a room with no kryptonite around.

As a result, I wasn't going to see this one, until the RT rating in the 90s caught my eye. Now I will.
If you didn't like the first film, I doubt you'll like the second one based on your reasoning for not liking John Wick.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. The film is basically a continuation of the first. Albeit bigger and deeper.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I view John Wick as a sort of Superhero in a highly fantasized comic book Wickverse. I think the filmmakers alluded to this in the extras on the first disc.

So I can suspend disbelief and enjoy all the hyper violence and semi invulnerability of John Wick without logic interfering. :D

SuperHERO? Ex-mob assassins are what we think of as heroes now?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Superhero in terms of abilities not moral fiber. Make no mistake John Wick is NOT a nice guy. But he is trying to change. He kills now out of necessity not profit.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Superhero in terms of abilities not moral fiber. Make no mistake John Wick is NOT a nice guy. But he is trying to change. He kills now out of necessity not profit.

I'll concede that point based on what I saw in the first one. I might go to see this one to see how they expand on the first film; although, the trailers make it look like it is just more of the same in terms of content. The first one basically reminded me of a Mack Bolan adventure with Bolan as an ex-villain, rather than a hero

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's both more of the same and expanding. And that's a good thing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Box office analysis from Deadline:

"Lionsgate/Summit’s John Wick: Chapter 2 is on fire in third, with an estimated $10.9M yesterday and a $29.6M weekend, possibly cracking $30M. That’s more than a 100% spike over the original’s $14.4M first weekend. John Wick 2‘s Friday beats that of 20th Century Fox’s Kingsman: The Secret Service, which was the R-rated guys’ choice two years ago against Fifty Shades Of Grey. Kingsman went on to open at $36.2M, largely juiced by the four-day Presidents Day weekend coinciding with Valentine’s Day. Still, the fact that a shoot ’em up action title could best its previous title is quite impressive, and John Wick 2 returns Keanu Reeves to his opening range sweet spot of such films like The Matrix and Constantine. If you’re a Matrix fan, then you’re in for a treat, as John Wick 2 is a big kiss to that series, especially with its onscreen reunion of Reeves and Laurence Fishburne. Critics aren’t the only ones thrilled: John Wick 2, at 91% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, has audiences giving an A- CinemaScore, over its previous installment’s B."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This followup sequel to "John Wick" was a lot of fun in terms of flat-out brutal hand-to-hand combat, and gunplay, and pencil-play... LOL! It's so over-the-top, you can't be help appreciate the commitment to this world of John Wick and company by the entire production team for this film. Keanu Reeves is turning into this generation's Clint Eastwood (reminiscent of the Dirty Harry franchise in the 70s and 80s).

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really liked it.

On first viewing though I loved the first one more. I think mostly because his motivations for his rampage in the first were more pure (revenge). In the continuation of the story, most of John's actions were out of necessity. He had to honor the marker, he had to survive the open contract, etc... But still his "actions" were awesome!

Loved the "Dark Knight" ending.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It's a popcorn flick, not reality. You put your brain on check after you pickup the popcorn at the snack bar. Sit back, relax, and enjoy.

I'm seeing it on Tuesday and I'm very much looking forward to the escapist entertainment filled with a bunch of bad guys getting their asses kicked.

Mark

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'm in the minority on this one, I thought it was another disappointing Matrix sequel. That's the best way I can describe my feelings. There were parts I liked, but overall the first movie was just on another level altogether. I'd get into more detail but I'll hold off until it's been out a little longer.

3 put of 5.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If you didn't like the first film, I doubt you'll like the second one based on your reasoning for not liking John Wick.

What do you know - I saw it today and liked it, more than I liked the first one. Maybe because despite the enormous body count Wick rolls up, he seemed more vulnerable, both emotionally and physically. He actually gets beat up, shot up, banged up, and spends much of the time limping around bruised and bloody, not striding around impeccably invulnerable, as IIRC he did in the first film. He actually has to run away and retreat occasionally, LOL.

Overall, I was quite pleased. Good action movie!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What do you know - I saw it today and liked it, more than I liked the first one. Maybe because despite the enormous body count Wick rolls up, he seemed more vulnerable, both emotionally and physically. He actually gets beat up, shot up, banged up, and spends much of the time limping around bruised and bloody, not striding around impeccably invulnerable, as IIRC he did in the first film. He actually has to run away and retreat occasionally, LOL.

Overall, I was quite pleased. Good action movie!
Which also happened in the first film!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
3 out of 5 is still a positive review isn't it?
Yes and no. The first movie I give a 5 out of 5. With all of the positive reviews I had hoped to like Chapter 2 as much as the first. It took a couple of steps back for me.

I don't dislike the movie, but I could've waired for a home viewing.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Holy cow, talk about action. Good thing I checked my brain at the door because I knew this would be popcorn flick,

The Booth Bijou gives 'John Wick: Chapter 2' 4 out of 5 stars.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks