What's new

John Mayer/Music (1 Viewer)

sam_canavo

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure where to post this but feel free to move as I
didn't see music forum (home theatre}

Anyway if you get a chance or have heard John Mayer - Man on the Side, it gave my psb's a work out, great acoutic guitar.

If it's new to me, sorry.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Kids keep telling me he's "the next big thing" in the music industry. I just don't hear what's so great about him.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I think he is the best singer songwriter to come around in a very long time. His music is catchy.. his lyrics are thoughtful and interesting and he is only like 24.. just think if he gets better?

CullenLJ

Auditioning
There is no doubt that his music is very good -- but I feel, like all singers/songwriters, the proof will be in his longevity.

There are alot of 'one hit wonders' out there. While I appreciate his music/songs, I am anxious to see what else he comes up with next.

In other words - will success spoil the music and the singer ?

CullenLJ

Auditioning
Anyway if you get a chance or have heard John Mayer - Man on the Side, it gave my psb's a work out, great acoutic guitar.

By the way -- try the song My stupid Mouth !! Great Song

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I went to his concert this week and it was the best concert that I have been to in years. He was funny and had the whole stadium singing along. I already liked his songs but he added and improv'ed enough to make listening to them in concert worth it. He showed good proficiency with several guitars, including a five minute solo during one song off his new album coming out in Sept. I was pretty impressed.

He made a fan for life when he picked up someone's cell phone to sing a couple of lines to her friend on the other line.

I don't buy a lot of CD's in this new age of technology but I will probably be buying his new album.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I like John too. I remember seeing him before he hit it big, while he opened for Glen Phillips at The Largo in L.A. and thought he was quite talented.

And like him or not (or singer/songwriters in general), I don't understand the vitriol that is sometimes generated by John or someone like him. I mean, he plays his own instrument, writes his own songs, that gives him a measure of credibility way over and beyond most "pop" acts today - a lot of whom are promoted based on looks and demographic appeal than any actual skill as a songwriter or musician.

I can understand not liking John Mayer, but I have read some comments (not here, but elsewhere) where you'd think John killed their mother. :confused:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't understand the vitriol that is sometimes generated by John or someone like him.
What do you mean by vitriol? :b

I just might've liked John Mayer enough to go to his concert hosted by my university if it weren't for the fact that I heard one of his songs (nearly) every day I went to the dining halls during the last school year (they tune into a popular music station, and thanks to them, I have come to dislike Avril Lavigne due to overexposure as well).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
If it weren't for John Mayer, I would have disconnected from "pop" music altogether and never looked back. A friend of mine turned me on to him a few years ago (when he was playing solo acoustic gigs) and I've been a fan ever since. His guitar playing is amazing and his lyrics introspective and wise, almost as if he's an old soul...much older than his 24 years. Sure, the comparisons/similarities to Dave Matthews are there, but he certainly doesn't dodge them, he embraces them. In fact, he counts Dave as one of the guitarists that has influenced him the most along with Stevie Ray Vaughan. I am really looking forward to the new CD in September as I think I've just about worn out my copy of "Room For Squares" and just about all of the other live solo/acoustic CDs I have from him.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Kids keep telling me he's "the next big thing" in the music industry. I just don't hear what's so great about him.
i agree. he is talented though. its interesting, a friend of mine was actually responsible for getting mayer's demo tape played on the air. my friend (bob) was working at a radio station and agreed to accept his tape, apparently someone liked it enough to give him a chance. which is kinda funny, mayer is talented, but nothing in comparison to how creative and talented as bob is. unfortunately, bob doesnt have the drive to become a musician, its a shame, i think he would have a lot of fans if he got his chance.

CJ

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
With Bob's talent and creativity, he could be a sucessful songwriter for a number of performing musicians. Talented music artists often don't write their own songs but sometimes turn them into huge hits. I want to say alot of country artists are doing well doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks