What's new

Joe Perry on the Food Network (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
OK, maybe hell has frozen over.

Food Networks "Inside Dish with Rachel Ray" has an episode devoted to Joe Perry of Aerosmith (it will replay on 1/15).

I have always been a huge fan of the band (I am 44, and lived in Massachusetts until '93....you can figure it out), and I consider Joe to be the most straight forward, no BS rock star on the planet.

The show does nothing to dispel that point of view. Another thing I like about Joe; the dude is a carnivore! None of this mamby-pamby vegan non-sense. The man has a dedicated chef that he takes on the road who's job it is to cook BBQ for Joe at every gig. He even has his own BBQ sauce that can be bought on-line and in the North East.

If you are a fan, its well worth watching....there is a fair amount of talk about the band, and music in general, plus a cameo by Rick Nielsen and Tom Petersen of Cheap Trick.

BGL

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've also seen him on Emeril Live, jamming with the band. I could swear he was on for like the entire week (this was some time ago) because every time I would catch Emeril, he was on there!

The man does love to eat! More power to him! [and yes, I'm a moderate fan of the band]

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
But what was that at CES? Steven Tyler with Craig Barrett of Intel? They played a song together or something? Say it isn't so!

Could you ever imagine that happening in their heyday in the mid to late 70's? I think not. :)

Please Aerosmith, don't become another U2...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Damn...that must have been great! I used to watch Emeril all the time.....always wished they would not cut to commercial. I really enjoyed CF Steaks and Boulebaise (sorry about the spelling).

I would not want to hear "Rats in the Cellar" on a Cadillac commercial, but given what these guys have been through, I won't begrudge them some income from there hard work.

And of all the rock stars out there I would most like to have a beer with, Joe is tops. And being a former Mass-hole myself, after a couple, my accent would come back, and I would start sounding like him too.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If they did a retro mid-70's-like convertible Caddy, I wouldn't mind hearing Rats in the Cellar during a comercial for it. ;)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah! Don't maintain a consistent quality of music, all the while keeping your integrety and expanding your horizons by experimenting! Keep pumping out those sappy ballads and trying to ride the coattails of teen pop acts! That's what EmbAerosmith is all about!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That's your opinion. :)

IMO, U2 sold out to corporate interests a long time ago. The Apple iPod thing is just one more example.

There is still yet hope for Aerosmith. Namely: Honkin on Bobo...

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who actually owns an iPod will tell you that it's no bullshit when U2 says that they endorse it because it's a great, revolutionary product. I got one for Christmas (the U2 edition, btw) and I literally haven't played a CD since. They only time I've even touched one was to rip it onto the iPod. The same cannot be said about video games, roller coasters, digital cameras, hot sauce and pickup trucks. Aerosmith has endorsed all of those and they are sellouts, pure and simple. "Honkin' on Bobo" is a great album but after Aerosmith has COMPLETELY sold out, it's an undeniable case of "too little, too late". Look at it in context. The mere fact that "Bobo" was the followup to the ballad-heavy "Just Push Play" pretty much dulls any edge that the album itself has. They're still the guys who had a song on their album called "Luv Lies". They're completely out-of-touch with their fanbase, and only after their pitiful attempt to find a new, more lucrative fanbase at the Super Bowl failed miserably did they make an attempt to satisfy their core audience by finally making the long-promised blues album. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Aerosmith. They are second only to the Beatles in terms of representation in my CD collection (31 discs to the Beatles' 36) yet I simply cannot fathom how U2 could be considered the antithesis of Aerosmith unless the extremes in which they both represent were favorable in the case of U2 and opposite in the case of Aerosmith. "Rocks" is probably my favorite album of all time but let's face it, EmbAerosmith's current state is practically the definition of "sell-out". The fact that this discussion is taking place in a thread announcing Joe Perry's appearance on the Food Network pretty much proves my arguement. They used to call Tyler and Perry the "Toxic Twins". Now they're on Food Network and digital camera commercials. It's a shame.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Here's why I view U2 with more ... disdain ... than Aerosmith.

Aerosmith have never ever professed to be anything other than just a rock and roll band. Personally, I don't think they've done a good complete album since Done with Mirrors. ('Til Honkin') But they are also in business to make money as well as have fun. So they have found a few more ways to do the former. Doesn't bother me much. Especially since they have shown that when they want to, they indeed can go back to their roots.

My problem with U2 is that they *have* shown that they are more than just a rock and roll band. Their support of Amnesty International and human rights around the world. A political stance on the Catholics and Protestants and the IRA and Northern Ireland and all that stuff. And now they are helping to sell the Apple iPod? Something just rubs me entirely the wrong way about that. Plus, know what Apple is getting bad press for these days in the Bay Area? The fact that their computer recycling program falls short of what companies like HP and Dell are doing. So now U2 is helping to support a company with a less than stellar environmental policy. That just doesn't jive with what U2 *used* to stand for. IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks