What's new

Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Has anyone found this in stores yet? I'd like to hear some impressions of it before making a purchase. For the record, I like Alice In Chains, but I never listened to Cantrell's previous solo record & I don't know what to expect.
I've checked out the samples at the Amazon.com page here, but they are a bit short to really form a conclusion.
-Dan B

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I've been listening to this for the past couple weeks(advance copies rule!), actually. A good portion of it is heavier than Boggy Depot and more similar to AIC. Though I prefer his earlier effort, there isn't a bad track on the album. The highlights are probably Anger Rising, Angel Eyes, and Chemical Tribe. If you're a fan of AIC, this one's a no-brainer.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Please let us know how this is. I was a little disappointed with Boggy (borrowed it from a friend) but am looking to recapture that AIC feel especially with Layne's passing.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Picked DT up yesterday...haven't really had a chance to absorb it, but so far I'm enjoying what I'm hearing....typical JC heavy riffs and crunching...some pretty good melodies too. Gonna give it a good listen this evening.

Jack

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Feel very fortunate.
My thoughts exactly!! I picked up Jerry's first solo album the week that it came out and haven't listened to it since. I was terribly disappointed by it and hope that his new album is better. Then again, I was never a big fan of the Alice songs that Jerry sang except for the unplugged stuff.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I think Jerry is a great guitar player and an excellent singer. However, his solo stuff and a lot of Chain's last album is just too cheesy for me. Jerry can be very "Rock and Roll" and that is just not what I like.

Heaven Beside You and Over Now are the absolute worst Chains songs ever. I actually felt embarrased for the band when I heard those songs.

-Dean-

David Judah

Screenwriter
After listening to the CD for a week, I thought I would chime in.

First off, this is different than Boggy Depot. There are some nice heavy riffs with patented Cantrell catchy-hook choruses with a little bit of delicate stuff thrown in for good measure. It sounds much more AIC'ish to me.

The first three songs are very solid and the whole album has few let-downs(my favorite is the second song Bargain Basement Howard Hughes).

There's definitely a Layne vibe throughout in the lyrics and understandably the CD is dedicated to him. I also think there are some thoughtful, well-written passages that show Jerry's maturity as a song writer.

I'm really enjoying this disc and can't wait for its sister release. He wrote 25 songs(14 on Degradation Trip)and the remaining ones will be on the forthcoming album next year.

DJ

NP: Jerry Cantrell-Degradation Trip

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I think I'm agreeing with everyone here when I say, "So far so good."

I *think* I'm going to like this one. All the elements except of course Layne's presence seems to be here. However, so far I'm not jumping up and down or singing at the top of my lungs. So far, again, every time I hear it I think I'm *gonna* like this. So, I keep listening.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
I have totally absorbed it now and can safely say that I love it. Not a stinker on the whole disc imo. Some pretty dark stuff here, seeming to write about LS (Bargain Basement, Solitude), or from his perspective (Locked On?), on several songs, but an upbeat song or two also (She Was My Girl)

Spiderbite is just a balls out crunchy guitar fest...loving it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks