What's new

Jean Renoir Gift set (7 films) - 4/24/07 (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just saw listed on DVD Empire that Lionsgate is releasing a Jean Renoir 7 film boxset on 4/24/07 for $29.98.

The films are:

La Fille De L'Eau
Nana
La Marseillaise
Sur Un Air De Charleston
La Petite Marchande D'Allumettes
Le Testament Du Docteur Cordelier
Le Caporal Epingle

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
This is one astonishing announcement...not just because of the number of films included and its unbeatable price but also that it is coming from, of all people, Lion's Gate!!

Frankly, I don't think I own any DVD of theirs and, hopefully, these Renoir "rarities" (although most of them are already available in the UK or France) will be done well making one look forward to their prospective Jean-Luc Godard and Brigitte Bardot sets.

Jean Renoir is one of my favorite auters and I'm eagerly awaiting this set especially for his acclaimed version of NANA (1926) and his atypical DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE variant, THE TESTAMENT OF DR. CORDELIER (1959) - awfully retitled as THE DOCTOR'S HORRIBLE EXPERIMENT on the DVD sleeve - neither of which I've ever watched...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
This indeed looks like a great set. And that price too! Makes the Criterion Eclipse series look like they might have to rethink that price point.

I'll have to admit, I haven't seen any of the films in this set. Anyone have any comments on them? Looks like it should be a safe blind buy.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I hope they look alright - I imagine that Martin Scorsese wouldn't be involved if the transfers look like crap.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I think these films may be part of the Studio Canal deal that Lionsgate made. If so, then the transfers should look pretty good (based on previous Studio Canal releases)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I'm a bit leery given that the box says "3-disc collector's edition". I hope these don't turn out to be DVD-18s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks