What's new

JBL PSW-D110 vs Sony Sa-wm40 (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
JBL psw-d110 front firing 150w 10inch with rear port the PB10 replaced this in the JBL line. This is my sons subwoofer.
The JBL subwoofer run on the same exact system as my new Sony SA-wm10 seems to have much more explosive effects . They both have pretty much the same low frequency limit (tested with AVIA) located in the same place in my room and both are front firing rear port models. Both were set up the same way using AVIA.
How is it possible that the JBL psw-d110 10" 150 W can shake the room (heavy floor vibration) and the sa-wm40 does not even vibrate the floor. The sa-wm40 seems damped or muted in comparison to the JBL. The only difference in the set-up is that the JBL hook-up uses the L&R preamp outputs of my receiver to drive the JBL and the Sony is hooked Up using the speaker connections. Can this make a difference?
I just can not figure out why there is such a difference unless maybe the Sony starts to "clip" on these explosive scenes and the JBL does not.
I was very happy with the Sony until I ran the JBL against the Sony. I was happy without the physical effects (vibration) but the magnitude of the sound is not there either.
This does not seem to make sence or does it. I am thinking of returning the sa-wm40 and getting the PB10 but the PB10 is a down firing unit and may not work well on my carpeted floor so it may not work as well as the psw-d110.
What would you do? Sorry just getting a little frustrated most feel that the PB10 and the sa-wm40 are equivalent from what I read is it possible that the older psw-d110 is just better than either the sa-wm40 and the PB10

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Richard,
Why don't you just try out the sawm40 with the lfe out on your reciever. If I understand things right (I'm still a newbie), by using the speaker connections, you are only getting a bass signal to your sub from what is being sent to the other speakers. By using the lfe channel, you are getting the full range of bass that was intended to go to the sub. For what it's worth, I say is test both subs using the same connections if at all possible because if you don't, you don't really have a fair comparison. If I am mistaken, I hope other more knowldgeable members will correct me. Just my $.02
EDIT:After I posted, I searched and found the thread I had been thinking about it is located at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...er+connections
I hope this helps and that I haven't misunderstood your predicament. Keep us posted.

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
richard,
just do what jeff said and then check out http://www.harmanaudio.com/ . look for the jbl psw-d112 (the 12" version of the d110). It's selling for around 150 last time I checked and I am sure it will outperform the sony. If you don't mind buying factory refurb then this is the best commercially availabe sub that you can get for less than 150.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Richard, I ran the same comparisons a few months ago and sent the Sony back for the same reasons. The JBL however has reliability issues and could die on you after a year of use. I still took the chance anyway since I leave the volume of my sub at 4 and figure this would extend it's life. Incidentally, to have similar impact on a the SW40, the volume dial had to be turned to 8. The amp may be better on the JBL. If you can get the 12 inch for $150 and I've seen it that cheap on the web, get it.

Richard_s

Second Unit
A few things that may help. I don't have a new receiver yet so that is why I had to use speaker connections for the SONY. The Sony only has speaker input or Subwoofer (single input). I do not have a SUB out or LFE yet so that is why the Sony was hooked up using the speakers. The JBL has the ability to accept L&R preamp outs so that is why I hooked the JBL up that way. So that is why I asked if this way of comparison is "fair". I should also say that the Sony is just great for Music its that the HT just does not have that "real" sound. I also am running DPL so I thought all of the Base goes to the L&R ( I tried phantom ). Is it possible that the circuitry used to "level" match the speaker connections to the amp be the problem? Maybe this causes a problem for the bass vs the line level input.
Seems like the 12" Sony should match up to the 10" JBL but maybe the 120W amp or the Driver is not as efficient as the JBL. The JBL is 150W(sony 120W) so can that be the difference?. Can the Sony be running out of "headspace on the amp". At 75db balanced to my mains using AVIA the volume setting on the Sony is at about 50% and the JBL is at about the same.
The Sony is great for the money but maybe for me the room needs more power in the subwoofer. The room is an acoustic nightmare but this is what I have. 16x24 cathedral on the long dimension and goes to 14feet in the middle. There is about 150sqft of glass. This room connects to another 15x11 8ft ceiling room with a 6foot wide openning.
Maybe I need to return the subwoofer and wait until I get a "real" receiver. I have 30 days to decide. My mains are JBL N26's and have a n-center and they are great the good news for me is that they were $150 less than what I planned to spend for the mains so that helps the budget. Everyones help here is a big help to me :)

Vin

Supporting Actor
Richard, I think you already answered your own question....the Sony just isn't capable of moving much air in that size room. I had similar results when I compared it to my Velo CT-120 in my ~2000 cubic foot room. (I realize this wasn't a fair comparison, considering the price difference between the two subs). I've also heard JBL's PB line (not the discontinued PSW line that you're comparing the Sony to) and I preferred them over the Sony....just my opinion.
BTW, based on my experience, I really don't think the downfiring PB line of subs will be an issue on your carpet....also, they're very reasonably priced at
bestpriceaudiovideo.com.
Good luck,
Vin

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
Richard,

I agree with Vin. If the sub doesn't cut it for you, then don't spend money on it, just save it up to get a bigger/better one. I do have the Sony, and it is hooked up using the speaker connections because my reciever is stereo receiver. The room that I have is a small one in an apartment, so the output is fine for me. I am anxious to get a higher end receiver so I can have things the way their supposed to be, but all in good time I suppose.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I just got the PB12 from jandr for 299 delivered. I'm using it on a carpeted surface, and haven't noticed any problems with it. Harman's site has them refurbed for around 250 with a full warranty. I'm not sure, but I think the amplifier problems were with the older PSW series, and not the PB series. I haven't calibrated yet, but it's got plenty of headroom, as I'm running the gain at about 1/2. It's much louder than my wife likes. It does great in music use as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks