What's new

January Movie Marathon: Actresses of Yesteryear (1 Viewer)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
What, no Deanna Durbin? She was one of the biggest stars of the 1930s and singlehandedly saved Universal Pictures from bankruptcy.

Here she is in MAD ABOUT MUSIC (1938):

8700791611_b644a6388b.jpg

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Well here we are... first day of the new marathon... and new experiment for myself. The drawing for today brought us...

Olivia_de_Havilland.jpg

The unfortunate thing for this one is I only have the one title for her. Though this could be a good thing as I do have to work today and my not have time for more. If by chance I do... I guess I would just have to do a second drawing for today? Sorry... never thought this through completely yet I guess.

Films for me to choose From:
- The Adventures of Robin Hood

Well... hard choice here... guess what I will be watching!
tongue1.gif

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
012569798397f.jpg
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938/United States)
BluRayLogo.png
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director: Michael Curtiz, William Keighley
Writing: Norman Reilly Raine (Screenwriter), Seton I. Miller (Screenwriter)
Length: 102 min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Music Only: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Stars:
Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marian
Basil Rathbone as Sir Guy of Gisbourne
Claude Rains as Prince John
Patric Knowles as Will Scarlett

Plot:
Dashing Errol Flynn triumphs in this lavish, fast-paced version of the Robin Hood legend, a winner of three Academy Awards®** in ravishing Technicolor®. Doing many stunts himself, Flynn is at his athletic, romantic best in a role originally intended for James Cagney. Olivia de Havilland (as Maid Marian), consummate screen villains Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains and a boisterous who's who of character actors co-star. Welcome to Sherwood!

** 1938: Best Film Editing, Interior Decoration and Original Score (Erich Wolfgang Korngold).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Introduction by Leonard Maltin
  • Newsreel
  • Vintage Cartoons

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I ever seen this one. And I must say I enjoyed it very much! I loved the story line... which I knew I would as I have of course seen other versions. Errol Flynn was great as Robin Hood... as was Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marian. I also liked the sense of humor used for a few of the characters in this film. Most noted Robin Hood himself. Being a film from 1938 I was surprised to see this film be in color. I am guessing this was the reason for the one thing I did find a little overdone. The color and fanciness of a lot of the costumes. Over all a great movie I can recommend with ease.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Technicolor films were so rare in this period that it would be pretty unthinkable to do one without a lot of bright color and elaborate wardrobe. Back then, a Technicolor movie was an EVENT! (I do find it odd that when the Academy voted on its special color cinematography award for 1938, they didn't choose Robin Hood but instead went with MGM's Sweethearts with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. While it's beautiful, it can't COMPARE to Robin Hood)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well here we are... first day of the new marathon... and new experiment for myself. The drawing for today brought us...

Olivia_de_Havilland.jpg

The unfortunate thing for this one is I only have the one title for her. Though this could be a good thing as I do have to work today and my not have time for more. If by chance I do... I guess I would just have to do a second drawing for today? Sorry... never thought this through completely yet I guess.

tongue1.gif
What kind of movie collection doesn't have Gone with the Wind? :blink: :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Olivia_de_Havilland.jpg

tongue1.gif

A great way to start off the New Year with a 1930s era living legend!

012569798397f.jpg
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938/United States)
BluRayLogo.png
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director: Michael Curtiz, William Keighley
Writing: Norman Reilly Raine (Screenwriter), Seton I. Miller (Screenwriter)
Length: 102 min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Music Only: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Stars:
Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marian
Basil Rathbone as Sir Guy of Gisbourne
Claude Rains as Prince John
Patric Knowles as Will Scarlett

Plot:
Dashing Errol Flynn triumphs in this lavish, fast-paced version of the Robin Hood legend, a winner of three Academy Awards®** in ravishing Technicolor®. Doing many stunts himself, Flynn is at his athletic, romantic best in a role originally intended for James Cagney. Olivia de Havilland (as Maid Marian), consummate screen villains Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains and a boisterous who's who of character actors co-star. Welcome to Sherwood!

** 1938: Best Film Editing, Interior Decoration and Original Score (Erich Wolfgang Korngold).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Introduction by Leonard Maltin
  • Newsreel
  • Vintage Cartoons

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I ever seen this one. And I must say I enjoyed it very much! I loved the story line... which I knew I would as I have of course seen other versions. Errol Flynn was great as Robin Hood... as was Olivia de Havilland as Maid Marian. I also liked the sense of humor used for a few of the characters in this film. Most noted Robin Hood himself. Being a film from 1938 I was surprised to see this film be in color. I am guessing this was the reason for the one thing I did find a little overdone. The color and fanciness of a lot of the costumes. Over all a great movie I can recommend with ease.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png
We still only have this one on DVD, but for me, the bright, glorious Technicolor enhances this brilliant production! Those who claim THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) as being the first great non animated Technicolor classic production have clearly never witnessed the spectacle that is THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938)! I envy you Peter for your first viewing of this on Blu-ray! :)

CHEERS! :)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Technicolor films were so rare in this period that it would be pretty unthinkable to do one without a lot of bright color and elaborate wardrobe. Back then, a Technicolor movie was an EVENT! (I do find it odd that when the Academy voted on its special color cinematography award for 1938, they didn't choose Robin Hood but instead went with MGM's Sweethearts with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. While it's beautiful, it can't COMPARE to Robin Hood)

Thanks for info... basically what I figured. :)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Drawing time for Day #2...

Audrey_Hepburn.jpg

OK... at least I have a few of her movies to choose from. And I am off today so hopefully will have time for more then one today!
tongue1.gif

From My Collection:
- Always
- Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Funny Face
- Paris When it Sizzles
- Roman Holiday
- Sabrina

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Please do NOT choose Paris When It Sizzles which is such a dud comedy and doesn't show Audrey or WIlliam Holden at his or her best. She's only a supporting player in Always.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I know about Always... seen it recently. I included it to be complete,...but plan to watch the older stuff. I hope to watch more then one today. I just watched all the trailers... and Paris When it Sizzles didn't look to impressive at all. Hope to watch more then one... but think I will at least start with Funny Face.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
097361308449f.jpg
Funny Face: 50th Anniversary Edition (1957/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: Stanley Donen
Writing: Leonard Gershe (Writer)
Length: 103 min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Stars:
Audrey Hepburn as Jo Stockton
Fred Astaire as Dick Avery
Kay Thompson as Maggie Prescott
Michel Auclair as Professor Emile Flostre
Robert Flemyng as Paul Duval

Plot:
Paris, the City of Light, shines even brighter when Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire team up for the only time and bring their luminous starpower to this exquisite musical featuring songs by George and Ira Gershwin. This dazzling romp – filmed on location in Paris – garnered four Academy Award® nominations.*

In the role of bookstore clerk transformed into a modeling sensation, Hepburn showcases singing and dancing skills she had honed on the London stage, performing "How Long Has This Been Going On?," a "Basal Metabolism" dance in a cool-cat bistro and more. Astaire, as the fashion photographer who discovers her, conjures up his inimitable magic for sequences that include his "Let's Kiss And Make Up" matador diversion, a heavenly dance with Hepburn to "He Loves And She Loves" and, again with Hepburn, the title-tune enchantment, "I Love Your Funny Face." Now and forever, so do we.

*1957 Nomination: Best Art Direction (Hal Pereira, George W. Davis); Best Set Decoration (Sam Comer, Ray Moyer); Best Cinematography (Ray June); Best Costume Design (Edith Head, Hubert de Givenchy)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Going by the trailer I thought I would like this one more then I did. It is not a bad movie by any means. But I just couldn't get past not liking Audrey Hepburn's character in this one. And it really brought the enjoyment of the film down for me. I still found the movie worth the time put in to watch it... but it will not become one of my favorites.

Rating:
stars_30_5.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
097360620443f.jpg
Roman Holiday: Special Collector's Edition (1953/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: William Wyler
Writing: Ian McLellan Hunter (Screenwriter), John Dighton (Screenwriter), Dalton Trumbo (Story By)
Length: 118 min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English
Stars:
Gregory Peck as Joe Bradley
Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann
Eddie Albert as Irving Radovich
Hartley Power as Mr. Hennessy
Harcourt Williams as Ambassador

Plot:
Roman Holiday was nominated for ten Academy Awards®, and Audrey Hepburn captured an Oscar® for her portrayal of a modern-day princess rebelling against her royal obligations who explores Rome on her own. She meets Gregory Peck, an American newspaperman who, seeking an exclusive story, pretends ignorance of her true identity. But his plan falters as they fall in love. Eddie Albert contributes to the fun as Peck's carefree cameraman pal. Stylishly directed by William Wyler, this romantic comedy ranks as one of the most enjoyable films of all times.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one I really enjoyed. I liked all the characters and it has a good story. I definitely felt Hepburn did a wonderful job in this one. I couldn't imagine the role being done any better. Peck was also good here. I knew the character would do what was right in the end... so I can't say it wasn't predictable. But even being predictable the story keeps you invested through-out with ease. This one is definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
stars_30_6.png

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Hey, I finally have time for a movie or two again! With today's drawing I get...

Shirley_Temple.jpg

I am off today so hoping to watch a couple anyway.

From My Collection:
- Captain January
- Curly Top
- Heidi
- Just Around the Corner
- Little Miss Broadway
- The Little Princess

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I56733A0017193219f.jpg
Captain January (1936/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: David Butler
Writing: Sam Hellman (Screenwriter), Gladys Lehman (Screenwriter), Harry Tugend (Screenwriter), Laura E. Richards (Original Material By)
Length: 77 min.
Video: Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Stars:
Shirley Temple as Star
Guy Kibbee as Captain January
Slim Summerville as Captain Nazro
Buddy Ebsen as Paul Roberts
Sara Haden as Agatha Morgan

Plot:
A kind lighthouse keeper and an irrepressible orphan plot to outwit a mean truant officer.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is the first Shirley Temple film I have sat through. And I must say... I can see how she became such a child star. She was adorable. I enjoyed this film quite a bit. I liked the entire cast. But I must say I did not recognize Buddy Ebsen in this film! There is a lot of fun characters here. But at the same time you really feel for Shirley Temple's character... especially when she is taken away from the captain and sitting there singing to the doll he carved her... missing him. I would definitely recommend this movie. The DVD I watched this on has both a B&W version and a Colorized version. I of course wanted to see this as it originally aired so chose the B&W.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
And most of Temple's movies are short, so it's easy to watch at least two. Too bad you don't have my favorite, Stowaway (1936) with co-stars Alice Faye and Robert Young.
Though I haven't yet viewed it, I have STOWAWAY (1936) as part of the 18 DVD set that I ordered from Amazon Canada almost 4 years ago. One of these days, I need to remedy this with viewings of this and some others that I've never seen, such as BABY, TAKE A BOW (1934), STAND UP AND CHEER (1934), and SUSANNAH OF THE MOUNTIES (1939)!

I have seen all of the 'Shirleys' that Pete listed, plus quite a few others over the decades. For me, THE LITTLE PRINCESS (1939) was a revelation on the Fox DVD, after decades of viewing it in inferior Public Domain prints.

CHEERS! :)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I679B74C85856CC27f.jpg
Curly Top (1935/United States)
DVDLogo.png
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director: Irving Cummings
Writing: Patterson McNutt (Screenwriter), Arthur Beckhard (Screenwriter)
Length: 76 min.
Video: Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Stars:
Shirley Temple as Elizabeth Blair
John Boles as Edward Morgan
Rochelle Hudson as Mary Blair
Jane Darwell as Mrs. Denham
Rafaela Ottiano as Mrs. Higgins

Plot:
A charming tot plays matchmaker between her older sister and the kindly trustee of an orphanage.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I liked this one a lot too. It is definitely more of a comedy the the first one I watched. But between the movies I watched today and the overview of other Shirley Temple movies I have in my collection... they sure had her play an orphan a lot. I did like that she had a sister in this one. After only 2 movies I feel like I will be liking Shirley Temple films.

Rating:
stars_30_7.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks