What's new

Jackass 3.5 - The Unrated Movie (2 Viewers)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Jackass 3.5

The Unrated Movie

Studio: Paramount Studios
Year: 2011
US Rating: Unrated
Film Length: 84 Mins
Video: 1080P High Definition 16X9 - 1.78:1
Audio: English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, French, Spanish and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese

Release Date: June14, 201

Review Date: June 12, 2011

“Warning: The stunts in this movie were performed by professionals, so for your safety and the protection of those round you, do not attempt any of the stunts you’re about to see”

Introduction

Having recently reviewed the Blu-ray of Jackass 3, I must confess that despite having stated that I don’t understand the fascination with Jackass, I believe that I do. It’s an appeal to the juvenile coiled at the core of all men older than 25 (and a considerably larger portion of inner real-estate for those younger). I have a healthy juvenile sense of humor streak running through that coiled core; a penchant for potty humor, blatant stupidity, and a Neanderthal sense of wonder at watching to see the outcome of ‘will they or won’t they’ shenanigans. But Jackass has me turning away far too often. It pushes my sense of comfort for what I am willing to watch another human endure for the sake of a giggle or a guffaw. It is, I quaintly profess, simply not my cup of tea.

The Film: 3 out of 5

It has been a little over 3 months since Jackass 3D made its way to the homes of fans via its Blu-ray and DVD release and this entirely new film, comprised of unused footage not piled into the theatrical release, represents an extension of the theatrical film (but is 100% original material). Based on the MTV series that exalted the foolishness of adolescent-mired men finding new ways to out-brave their peers in getting hurt in many elaborate and not-so elaborate ways, the cinematic Jackass outings have continued to find new ways to up the ante – and Jackass 3.5 is simply more of the same, comprised of ‘almost-but-not-quite’ material considered for the theatrical release – but more complete than merely deleted scenes.

Once again, I admit that the elegance of the profoundly stupid on display here is quite something. It is more involved than throw-away practical jokes and frequently runs near – or around – set-ups that all boys have mischievously pondered at one time or another. In this assembly of pranks, pratfalls, and pain-generating stunts, the boys begin in Europe, running and awkwardly falling through cobbled streets and tourist locations, often in front of lines of bemused onlookers or adoring fans, winding up on stage in front of screaming legions of devotees. From there, the clips run through butt-cheek snapping turtle, groin-smashing tree fall, barrel surfing, and a montage of awfully painful pranks pulled on each other (snapping turtle on a stick, wake-up via defibrillator, and what appears to be less than a friendly fight).

Between scenes, Johnny, Steve-O, Chris Pontius and the rest of the crew talk to the camera about being on edge during the shoot, or the set up for the next stunt. When Johnny unleashes the double paintball gun attached to the flying model helicopter as most of the crew recover from the ‘slip ‘n bowl’ stunt, I found myself laughing out loud at the sneaky nature of the attack. But it wasn’t long before I was turning away again trying to avoid seeing people get so hurt for the amusement of others (this includes Johnny Knoxville getting peed on in retaliation).

The Video:  4 out of 5

As with the recent Jackass 3, this 3.5 release is framed at 1.78:1using a 1080p AVC encode and looks sharp. It seems more of the stunts in this film were performed outside and so the sunny days, with warm blue skies, rich greenery, and bright color shirts and set ups all pop.

The Sound: 4 out of 5

Paramount has provided another aggressive English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1. Rock tracks are again a healthy dose of the soundtrack (aside from the sound of tasers, light explosives, and the aforementioned model helicopter), and they sound really very good. Perhaps more use of the surrounds would be welcome, but all the pain experienced onscreen transfers via empathy nicely with what we have.

The Extras: 3 out of 5

All extras are presented in 1080p HD

Jackass: The Beginning: A surprisingly lengthy an interesting accounting of the Jackass crew’s history.  

Deleted Scenes: A series of deleted scenes and snippets.

Outtakes: Outtakes in a movie like this doesn’t really make all that much sense, but there are giggles to be had here.

Jackass European Tour: Footage from the European tour – England, Ireland, Spain, etc., - where some of the more elaborate stunts were filmed.

Final Thoughts

I found Jackass 3.5 easier to sit through than Jackass 3 – perhaps my tolerance has adjusted or I have become more desensitized to the onscreen silliness. Fans of the series will love this release. It’s reasonably priced, has great picture and sound and the extra features are better than expected.

Overall 3 out of 5

Neil Middlemiss

Kernersville, NC

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I found Jackass 3.5 easier to sit through than Jackass 3 – perhaps my tolerance has adjusted or I have become more desensitized to the onscreen silliness. Fans of the series will love this release. It’s reasonably priced, has great picture and sound and the extra features are better than expected.
Thanks Neil. Sounds like you have turned to the dark side :)

So I don't quite understand the 3.5. Is this essentially a re-edit (Directors Cut?) of the original film with extra footage edited in? If so roughly what percentage of this film was made up of footage from the original?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I hope it's nothing more than a fleeting toe-dip into the Dark Side!

This film is entirely new footage. It was apparently filmed during (or thereabouts) the production of the theatrical film, but all of the stunts and pranks are new. It runs shorther than the theatrical film (84 minutes), but is still a pretty good deal for fans.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Thanks Neil. Sounds like you have turned to the dark side :)

So I don't quite understand the 3.5. Is this essentially a re-edit (Directors Cut?) of the original film with extra footage edited in? If so roughly what percentage of this film was made up of footage from the original?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Sadly, CNN is reporting that longtime Jackass member Ryan Dunn was killed in an early morning car wreck.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I liked Dunn a lot, he always seemed the most "normal" of the bunch, almost embarrassed by their extremes they went to. He was the "everyman" in the gang, I guess.

Too young to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks