What's new

I've Heard It All Now, re: Losing The WS Battle (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>VHS is dead.>

Heh, I know this is evident in my house. I finally broke down and saved up for a DVD Recorder two months ago, once my computer was upgraded to the latest specs. Now I've got the miscellanious stuff converted to digital, now I've just got to worry about two series, Turtles and Thundercats. Once that's done, the VCR will go in cold storage.

I have no real need to tape TV Shows anymore. With a 100GB hard Drive, I can digitally program the TV Tuner to tape what I miss, and most new shows I'd want to archive will more than likley come to DVD within a year or so. So, why have the VCR around?

As far as this widescreen deb at goes, here's another idea. For all the people who shop at wallmart, and the stores that stock mostly pan and scan stuff, why not buy online? Show studio execs where the money lies by making online widescreen purchases go through the roof. Leave Walmart to the J6P's.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>So I'm already happy to get people to watch the original language and not the dubbed track that destroys everything. >
Heh, one of the reasons why I've been buying the anime DVD's and 'spoiling' the new episodes by watching them in their original language first. At least you have familly members who understand this. My parents don't understand the difference in the two soundtracks(English, Japanese). As far as they know, It's a direct translation, different language :). Oh well, at least I have my Dragonball Z DVD's to appreciate the original with :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's a question. Who makes the commercials for these DVD's? THe studios, or part of the films directorial team? Why not advertise that there are both widescreen and pan and scan versions of a film out there. Only when it is said, Show the widescreen moving film on top clearly labled, and likewise with the full frame version on the bottom.
That's the easiest way to see the difference and get the word out. Soon as unconverted Trek fans see the difference with Star Trek 4, they'll never go back ;).

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to say that I work in Richmond, VA and right next to my office there is a 7-11 that is actually selling DVDs behind the counter. While standing in line the other day I was looking at the selection of approximately 10 different titles to choose from and to my surprise all titles were Widescreen. So whoever is doing the ordering for this store is pretty smart and not giving J6P a choice.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
At least one of the 7-11s in Garland, TX also stocked only widescreen Spider-Man. On the other hand, the local grocery store only has one DVD right now--AOTC--and it's only P&S.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I gave up explaining to people (unless asked).

If you can't figure out that the movie screen is like twice as wide as your TV, and when the movie selection is filling your standard TV screen then something was changed...

...you probably have bigger problems on the go.

Ignorance... it's everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks