What's new

I've been electrified! (1 Viewer)

DennisHP

Second Unit
You know that little static shock you generate when it's dry and cold outside? Well for the past few months I've been generating that shock everywhere I go and almost everything metal I touch. In Oregon, known for the rain, it's weird. The network room I work in even has anti-static tiles for flooring but I can walk from my desk to the main computer console and SNAP! It's actually annoying. What gives?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Don't get near any pyrotechnics either! :eek:
It could also be your shoes. I used to work in a pyrotechics facility and I had to be pretty precautious about what shoes I wore to work. Some of them caused me to build up static while others didn't. I was eventually issued some ESD shoes so I wouldn't blow anything up. :D

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i've been geting zapped when i slide out of my truck with cloth seats and then touch the door. i've found that spraying some Static Guard on the seats works well, or you might try an extra shot of fabric softener in the laundry.
i remember when i was in high school, my dad walked over to the stereo to change the volume and shot a spark to the metal volume nob, blew out the left channel audio.:frowning:

DennisHP

Second Unit
Now that you mention it, I am wearing new Avia tennis shoes. I wonder if they're the culprits. I'll test the theory tomorrow by wearing different shoes, although all T-shoes have rubber soles.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Tape a piece of rubber to you yourself let it hang down your pants leg and let it drag behind you. For that symmetrical look have one hanging down both legs. :D

Todd K

Second Unit
Bill C is right. Based on my experience shoes mean everything. My problem was with getting out of cars. Every time I touched the door to shut it I got a shock. I got a new pair of shoes and haven't had the problem since. I can't say what type of shoes, though. Just depends on the material.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I been having the same problem. Went to insert my key into the lock and a blue spark shot from the key to the lock before they made contact. I am almost afraid to touch anything. So annoying.

KyleS

Screenwriter
LOL I also go through spurts like this. Getting out of the car can be solved by simply grabbing onto a metal part of the door like the window seal before sliding around to get out. Hold onto it so that you are grounded until your feet are on the ground.
I love when I am at work and need to show people something on their computer. I reach out to touch the monitor and ZAP I get nailed. Its really bad especially when it is enough of a charge that you not only feel it but here a snap.... Then my students laugh.
Man it sucks :angry:
KyleS

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Kyle,

That very same advice was given to me here in this forum over a year ago. It's weird what you can learn here. Now I only get shocked if I forget to exit the "proper" way.

DennisHP

Second Unit
Follow up: I'm wearing different soled shoes today for the first time in a long time and I'm not getting that clingy, static build-up. Thanks for the help! My PC's memory chips thank you too.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Now that I think about it, I've been having the same problem for the last couple of years since I bought my Nike boots. I never thought about the shoe factor. Thanks guys.

You know, the worst static shocks that I've received have been from the stream of water coming out of the kitchen faucet. I'll turn the water on, go to stick my hands under the water and Zzzttt, I get the crap shocked out of me. Strange thing, that electricity.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Have you guys ever installed or connected or hooked up any satellite system???

So i was just rewiring my system after the installer left leaving me with a tangle of cable.

I was holding the cable coming from the dish into my house on one hand, the other one i touched the Dish input on the reciever... ZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!!!!! it didnt really hurt, just really uncomfortable (like putting a fresh 9volt battery on your tongue)

And a few weeks ago, i couldnt close the doors oin a car without being zapped... Which sucked coz that was the same week the autoshow came to town lol...

Ooooh fun with static electricity...

KyleS

Screenwriter
That very same advice was given to me here in this forum over a year ago. It's weird what you can learn here. Now I only get shocked if I forget to exit the "proper" way.
Frank, I learned that a long time ago after I got sick and tired of getting it every time I got out of the car. When you swivel around to get your legs out of the car/truck (assuming you have cloth seats) there is a static build up from the friction then when you touch the metal door after the buildup Zaaaaaap... Doh :)
I think that your way was a lot more interesting with the grounding plastic strips from each leg. Hey you never know a new fashion that can actually help while making you look better ;)
Sounds like I need to get me a new pair of shoes for work, currently I am wearing a pair of Rockport Hiking/semi-dress shoes.
KyleS

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
In college I did Ethernet installs for on campus housing. I was helping one student once and was using my laptop. I had to carry it across the room after plugging it in. So I closed the lid, picked up the laptop, walked across the carpeted room, set the laptop down on a table, and opened it back up. Unfortunately, when I went to open it I touched one of the exposed ports on the back and got zapped pretty good. The whole thing went dead. Fortunately I just blew out one of the fuses and it was as good as new after getting it replaced.
OK...here's a little physics question for you guys...
Cinderella walked down the silk carpeted steps in her glass slippers to meet Prince Charming. When she met up with him he gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek but was surprised to receive a strong electric shock in return. Did the spark jump from Cinderalla to the prince, or vise-versa? :D

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
It can get pretty bad.

Another one I use when going to the car is to hold a metal key and touch a metal part of the car first. The sparks can be visible, and you can feel some of it, but it is nowhere as bad as without it.

Mike

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Another one I use when going to the car is to hold a metal key and touch a metal part of the car first. The sparks can be visible, and you can feel some of it, but it is nowhere as bad as without it.
That's the method i use! I kinda enjoy seeing the spark and hearing the zzzzttt every time!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Cinderella walked down the silk carpeted steps in her glass slippers to meet Prince Charming. When she met up with him he gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek but was surprised to receive a strong electric shock in return. Did the spark jump from Cinderalla to the prince, or vise-versa?
I'd say the spark went from Cindarella to the prince.

Didnt that guy back then discovered static electricity when he was polishing amber with a silk cloth, and found it was attracting more dust? Silk and glass would create quite a charge...

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Take some normal strength Downey brand liquid fabric softener and mix it 1 part to 8 parts water. Use a spray bottle and mist your carpet lightly with the mixture. Allow to dry. That will greatly reduce the amount of static charge you develop walking about the room.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say the spark went from Cindarella to the prince.
I disagree... I think the glass and the silk will generate a positive charge in Cinderella, thus Prince Charming (assuming he is of neutral charge) will have more electrons. So the electrons will travel to Cinderella from the prince. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks