I've been electrified!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisHP, Apr 25, 2002.

1. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

You know that little static shock you generate when it's dry and cold outside? Well for the past few months I've been generating that shock everywhere I go and almost everything metal I touch. In Oregon, known for the rain, it's weird. The network room I work in even has anti-static tiles for flooring but I can walk from my desk to the main computer console and SNAP! It's actually annoying. What gives?

2. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Just don't work on any computers... you'd blow em all up [​IMG]

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Don't get near any pyrotechnics either! [​IMG]
    It could also be your shoes. I used to work in a pyrotechics facility and I had to be pretty precautious about what shoes I wore to work. Some of them caused me to build up static while others didn't. I was eventually issued some ESD shoes so I wouldn't blow anything up. [​IMG]

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i've been geting zapped when i slide out of my truck with cloth seats and then touch the door. i've found that spraying some Static Guard on the seats works well, or you might try an extra shot of fabric softener in the laundry.
    i remember when i was in high school, my dad walked over to the stereo to change the volume and shot a spark to the metal volume nob, blew out the left channel audio.[​IMG]

5. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Now that you mention it, I am wearing new Avia tennis shoes. I wonder if they're the culprits. I'll test the theory tomorrow by wearing different shoes, although all T-shoes have rubber soles.

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Tape a piece of rubber to you yourself let it hang down your pants leg and let it drag behind you. For that symmetrical look have one hanging down both legs. [​IMG]

7. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Bill C is right. Based on my experience shoes mean everything. My problem was with getting out of cars. Every time I touched the door to shut it I got a shock. I got a new pair of shoes and haven't had the problem since. I can't say what type of shoes, though. Just depends on the material.

8. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I been having the same problem. Went to insert my key into the lock and a blue spark shot from the key to the lock before they made contact. I am almost afraid to touch anything. So annoying.

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

LOL I also go through spurts like this. Getting out of the car can be solved by simply grabbing onto a metal part of the door like the window seal before sliding around to get out. Hold onto it so that you are grounded until your feet are on the ground.
    I love when I am at work and need to show people something on their computer. I reach out to touch the monitor and ZAP I get nailed. Its really bad especially when it is enough of a charge that you not only feel it but here a snap.... Then my students laugh.
    Man it sucks [​IMG]
    KyleS

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Kyle,

That very same advice was given to me here in this forum over a year ago. It's weird what you can learn here. Now I only get shocked if I forget to exit the "proper" way.

11. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Follow up: I'm wearing different soled shoes today for the first time in a long time and I'm not getting that clingy, static build-up. Thanks for the help! My PC's memory chips thank you too.

12. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Now that I think about it, I've been having the same problem for the last couple of years since I bought my Nike boots. I never thought about the shoe factor. Thanks guys.

You know, the worst static shocks that I've received have been from the stream of water coming out of the kitchen faucet. I'll turn the water on, go to stick my hands under the water and Zzzttt, I get the crap shocked out of me. Strange thing, that electricity.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Have you guys ever installed or connected or hooked up any satellite system???

So i was just rewiring my system after the installer left leaving me with a tangle of cable.

I was holding the cable coming from the dish into my house on one hand, the other one i touched the Dish input on the reciever... ZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!!!!! it didnt really hurt, just really uncomfortable (like putting a fresh 9volt battery on your tongue)

And a few weeks ago, i couldnt close the doors oin a car without being zapped... Which sucked coz that was the same week the autoshow came to town lol...

Ooooh fun with static electricity...

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

15. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

In college I did Ethernet installs for on campus housing. I was helping one student once and was using my laptop. I had to carry it across the room after plugging it in. So I closed the lid, picked up the laptop, walked across the carpeted room, set the laptop down on a table, and opened it back up. Unfortunately, when I went to open it I touched one of the exposed ports on the back and got zapped pretty good. The whole thing went dead. Fortunately I just blew out one of the fuses and it was as good as new after getting it replaced.
    OK...here's a little physics question for you guys...
    Cinderella walked down the silk carpeted steps in her glass slippers to meet Prince Charming. When she met up with him he gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek but was surprised to receive a strong electric shock in return. Did the spark jump from Cinderalla to the prince, or vise-versa? [​IMG]

16. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

It can get pretty bad.

Another one I use when going to the car is to hold a metal key and touch a metal part of the car first. The sparks can be visible, and you can feel some of it, but it is nowhere as bad as without it.

Mike

17. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

18. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

19. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Take some normal strength Downey brand liquid fabric softener and mix it 1 part to 8 parts water. Use a spray bottle and mist your carpet lightly with the mixture. Allow to dry. That will greatly reduce the amount of static charge you develop walking about the room.

20. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator