What's new

IT'S YOUR MOVE with Jason Bateman - any chance of DVD? (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
I remember the show as well since I saw nearly every show that aired during the 80's. However, if the renewed popularity of Jason Bateman is going to bring any of his previous series to DVD I would bet on it being Valerie / The Hogan Family since it has a lot more than just Jason going for it. Therefore a potentially bigger audience including Valerie Harper fans.
I think it's only a matter of time that we'll see "Valerie", I hope.

John*P

Second Unit
Jon Martin: True, Jon. I meant to say that it is praised by most of the people that mention it online on sites and message boards. My mistake.
As for Valerie/The Hogan Family, I loved that show, and want to see that on DVD even more than It's Your Move. I especially remember watching it Monday nights on NBC right after Alf. Good times...

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Good news for Jason Bateman, Valerie Harper & Sandy Duncan fans. According to Sitcoms Online:

the sitcom is the 1986-1991 sitcom The Hogan Family. It will air WEEKDAYS @ 12 PM & 12:30 PM starting April 3. They will start with season three, by passing the Valerie years.

The show was titled Valerie in its first two seasons, then Valerie's Family for season three, before being called The Hogan Family by season four.

Sorry to hear that they're skipping the Valerie years (that's insulting to her and us) but if the reruns do well enough perhaps they'll rotate back around to her episodes. Also, I'm wondering if the waters are being tested for a future DVD release. I've noticed other sitcoms return to rerun syndication only to be followed later by a DVD release.

LCD22

Screenwriter
David Rain thanks for passing that along. That sounds great, minus the fact that they're skipping "Valerie". If Warner Bros. does bring "The Hogan Family" to DVD, I hope they start with "Valerie".

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'll be firing up my Tivo for this as I have not seen these eps since they first aired. I don't even recall if airing in rerun syndication that much, if at all. As far as a DVD release, I think for the sake of continuity they will need to re-brand the entire series "The Hogan Family" as the frequent name changes are confusing even for fans. It would be confusing to have "Valerie - Season Two" followed by "The Hogan Family - Season Three" or however that would break down.
Watch this show when it airs, folks. Good ratings could mean a you-know-what. :D

LCD22

Screenwriter
I haven't seen "The Hogan Family" regularly since Pax TV, though I did see an episode of "Valerie" and "The Hogan Family" on TV Land last year. Before that was local syndication. "Family Ties", "Alf", and "The Hogan Family" were all on a pre-UPN station. I'm looking forward to watching "The Hogan Family" on ABC Family April 3rd.

John*P

Second Unit
Pavan from Sitcoms Online has updated his Hogan Family blog info for ABC Family; apparently, the Valerie episodes will air after all the Hogan Family episodes are finished. They're only skipping over the Valerie eps this once, supposedly.
This info came from Pavan's Sitcoms Online Blog: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/blog/
In a way, I'm actually more excited about the show coming to syndication than if S1 were coming to DVD...I'll be able to watch (and record) the entire series in a few short months. Yeah, they're edited and have network ads/bugs on the screen, but this will definitely tide me over till the series is released on DVD.
"Life is such a sweet insanity, the more you learn the less you know..."

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I've never actually seen It's Your Move, but whenever I talk to my dad, he knows about my TV DVD addiction and always asks if IYM is coming out.
I noticed at TVShowsOnDVD they don't even show who owns the rights. Anyone know anything about this one possibly getting released?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I used to watch it but can't for the life of me remember much about it. At this point lots of lesser-known shows are being released so who knows. I'd settle for this show being re-shown on cable even if there's never a DVD release.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Between JUNO and HANCOCK, Jason Bateman is reaching the widest popularity of his career - a perfect time to reintroduce this show. Now that Sony has finally let Embassy's other great '80's sitcom, "SQUARE PEGS", out of oblivion, to of course cash in on the movie popularity of Sarah Jessica Parker, it is prudent to take this opportunity now to do the same for "IT'S YOUR MOVE."
Bring back The Dregs of Humanity!!!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
After I got into Arrested Development, my father and I watched about seven or eight episodes of It's Your Move that he'd happened to catch on tape--it's one of the very few shows we watched together and I know that if and when this is ever released, we'll be buying two copies for sure.
If a Sex and the City movie can prompt them to release Square Pegs, I think the upcoming Arrested Development movie would be a perfect tie-in for It's Your Move...

coycoy

Auditioning
Real Name
Coco Supreme
Who can forget Eli mishearing Matt's sister Julie's derogatory chants as "Eli. Eli. He's my man. If I can't have him, no one can!" Oh my goodness! I still say that to this day! I found this thread by googling that line! That was the BEST show! :)

oneking

Auditioning
Real Name
tony
Thankfully, I was obsessed with this show when it originally aired on NBC, back in '84-'85, and recorded just about every episode. The ones that I missed I was able to purchase on vhs, via ebay, years ago. This show was very cleverly written, and Bateman was ahead of his time, as a master of comic timing and delivery, even as a teenager. Seeing this thread makes me want to get off my butt and transfer all of the eps to dvd, so I can enjoy them, again. Great point about this being the perfect time for a dvd release, with Bateman's success being at an all-time high, right now. I really hope they do it!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I have fond memories of this show, particularly the "Dregs of Humanity" 2-parter (which I used to have on VHS, but lost many years ago). The scene in which Bateman is heckled on stage while trying to introduce the band is burned into my memory: Guy in audience: "Get off!" Bateman: "Thank you!" My sister and I still quote that line to one another after all this time. I'd definitely be interested. I just found the clip on YouTube! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks