What's new

Bewitched Reboot In The Works (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hmmm... do we think this is a graceful way of saving face, that this reboot will just disappear off the radar now, or that it really will just be coming a year late?

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Hmmm... do we think this is a graceful way of saving face, that this reboot will just disappear off the radar now, or that it really will just be coming a year late?

That would be my Christmas wish. It seems the Hollywood machine still hasn't figured out that these kind of reboots (Ghostbusters, Oceans 8, What Men Want, Fantastic Four) are just designed to fail because it's obvious that audiences, no matter if they're television watchers or movie fans, just aren't buying into these role reversal or <insert_your_preference>-swapping roles. I seem to recall that aforementioned potential TV reboots of I Dream Of Jeannie and A-Team failed because there was a lack of interest and studios ended up pulling the plug. Even the Murder She Wrote reboot was canceled long before it could get off the ground due to vocal protests from Angela Lansbury.

If they're going to change the dynamic of classic TV shows that fans continue to enjoy, they need to respect the original shows and try to maintain the original makeup of those shows. Take a look at Lethal Weapon, a series that was going strong until they decided to kill off the character of Martin Riggs and replace him with that actor from the American Pie movies (portraying a brand new character).

Personally, I hope that the studio just allows this reboot to just fade into the distance, not with a bang, but, with a whimper.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
1) Ocean's 8 was a huge box office success, and plans for a sequel are underway. While critics were mixed on the film, audiences generally loved it.
2) They didn't "decide to kill off the character of Martin Riggs" on a whim; the actor who played the character was fired for cause after being verbally and physically abusive to multiple members of the production. It's not the fault of the network or studio that the actor decided to behave in a spectacularly inappropriate fashion.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Josh, actually, that's not true, in regards to Clayne Crawford. He wasn't verbally and physically abusive to the production members. Matter of fact, they supported Crawford. But, the animosity on set was equally the fault of Wayans and Crawford. They were both going at each other and Crawford admits that he may have reacted wrongly but that Wayans was the studio favborite and got away with a lot of crap. You should watch/listen to the Podcast that he was recently a part of and don't fall for the rumors and speculation that have been spread by the studios. Wayans wasn't happy that much of his dialogue wasn't coming off as humorous and that Wayans was jealous that Crawford's lines were more hilarious than Wayans'. There is a lot more to this story with Crawford than has been reported. But, I would recommend giving the Podcast a listen.

It's around an hour in length but Crawford does elaborate exactly what went wrong, including Wayans juvenile temper tantrum when Crawford directed an episode of the second season. The podcast is very illuminating and sheds new light on what exactly went down.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Well, there's a "no answer / answer". I actually watched the whole podcast and he does clarify what went down.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't mean to be snarky and I apologize. What I was trying to convey was that I don't believe him to be an objective source, and I think the fact that his contract was terminated, which is incredibly difficult to do when you're in the actor's union, speaks volumes.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Don't worry about it. I never take anything personally. But, I don't believe anything coming from the producers or the movie studio, in regards to Clayne Crawford and Damon Wayans. But, personally speaking, when the character of Martin Riggs was killed off, it stopped feeling like Lethal Weapon. The problem with these rebooted properties, is that the production studio, the network, the producers, the directors and the writers go too far and they end up changing these characters that are considered to be icons into something that is totally unrecognizable.

With Magnum P.I., the reason is resonated with me, was that the original series was based around the experiences that the characters had in the Vietnam War. Re-focusing the reboot series for Afghanistan, it doesn't have the same emphasis that the original series had. It's why I can;t get into shows like the rebooted Charmed series or the Riverdale series (based on Archie). They just changed too much of what made those characters appeal to their respective audiences. I grew up on the original "The Archie Show" series and I remember enjoying the original Charmed series.

You just can't recapture the original charm that made those original shows so appealing to their audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks