What's new

It's Official: HD DVD and Blu-ray Can Limit High Resolution To HDMI Only (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
I agree with those who say that the thread title should be changed. Just stick "*NOT*" before "HDMI Only" and remove the rest. And why is this thread still a sticky when its title is now proven to be untrue?

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Was the AACS 'report' that got me on the wrong track (my mistake, folks) just "saber rattling" that HiDef would be HDMI only?
I mean, it's pretty late in the game for misleading 'reports' to be popping up!

Of coarse, I may have been the only one to be mislead! :-o

Cees,
That's GREAT news, thanks!

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
There was talk long ago (2002, 2003) of limiting outputs to HDCP on next generation formats. Hardware manufacturers resisted this because it limited their potential market, and got the studios to agree (eventually) to an opt-in system for AACS. Thus, analog outs are not forbidden, and the manufacturers can (somewhat effectively) wash their hands of the situation and say, "Complain to the studios. They're doing this mean thing to you."

This happened with the CableCard initiative, too, although because of the FCC's precedent in regulating broadcast and cable, there the FCC was able to come down hard and decisively, said that forbidding analog was a no-no, and that ICT could be included in cable boxes but that any attempt to actually use it should cause the commission to "revisit" their acceptance of the capability.

"HD DVD is HDMI only" talk in 2005 comes from some early, misleading articles in the tech and mainstream press whose authors either misconstrued comments made by interviewees or whose interviewees were technically out of the loop and hence talking out of their rectum.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Or, perhaps, from the DVD Forum's ruling that High Defintion resolution, even when upconverted from standard DVD, was not permitted to be output via analog component connexions from DVD Forum licensed hardware — which certainly made it appear that true HD from HD discs would not!

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Yes, that's entirely what I was talking about. The article referenced in the first post on this thread was misleading in many ways (45GB? Outside of a demonstration, there's been no released plans for this; it's like 100GB Blu-ray).

It came from a roadshow, and not a press release, and either the individual poster misunderstood the Toshiba reps or the particular Toshiba reps themselves were commenting on AACS decisions which had not yet been made. There are very few people I trust to get real, accurate answers on this stuff, and marketing people, even at trade shows, are not among them. For example, there's been tons of press indicating that the players will require connection to the internet, and industry insiders (who are actually designing and building the machines, and not mere marketing hacks) have roundly trounced that notion since.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
2006, and no "straight" answers!
Good luck to HD discs this year.
Still feel bad about passing along false info, even though I am not the only one (the industry itself).

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Don't worry. We've all been misled by marketing at one time or another. Comes from wanting the latest and greatest information, and sometimes we don't stop to analyze the source.

gary*w*

Agent
If it's all just a misunderstanding then why aren't folks from Toshiba or the HD-DVD camp out there screaming from the highest mountain top trying to clear this up.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Because the HD DVD marketing people are idiots. And because most of the only people that would understand the subtle distinctions we're talking about probably already know.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Sorry folks. Something went horribly awry. I certainly don't feel strong enough about the situation to post fragments of my opinion eighteen kajillion times.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Man, you can say that again! Oh wait! scratch that idea!
Now, what were we talking about again?

This thread title is now misleading. It should not only be unstickied/unstuck? but closed with a note at the end.

Glenn

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Closure of this thread will be bittersweet--saying goodbye to what has got to be one of this area of the Forum's favorite teeth-gnashing speculation vehicles of the past seven months.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok so what is this thread?

or how about a thread that is a faqbot(thats a Q) of sorts.

i ve been sitting back, up till now due to the overwelming am't of discussion on high definition dvd palayers.

i have no idea what would work for my tv and what i would need to get.

some are saying this thread title is misleading.

is it?
and if so why hant it been updated?

were can i go to find info on what i need to get to watch hd dvd one format or both on my tv?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Maybe Blu-ray is favored over HD-DVD in this corner of the 'verse? Oh yeah, another Serenity dig. :)

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks