What's new

Isn't the HTF Wonderful - Rotel to Outlaw to Anthem (1 Viewer)

george king

Supporting Actor
This has been an interesting couple of months. For those of you who remember :D awhile back there was a long thread on the Rotel 1066 and its presumed plusses and minusses. Then the Outlaw Beta testers reported their results (and another long thread). Then the Anthem AVM 20 raised its beautiful head, and we had another long thread, with several people now deciding to probably get the Anthem (lucky devils). Finally, with the release of the 1066, we have a resurrection of a discussion on this unit.
Ain't life and the internet wonderful??!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
not always right. i dont have money to buy those things you have mentioned...i could only drool...

but.

at least those toys enrourage me to work harder, someday i would be able to afford them, hopefully. hope, makes me feel alive!

Alex F.

Second Unit
It will become real fun at HTF when SACD and/or DVD-Audio players finally have a digital output, then everybody will start all over again wanting a pre/pro or receiver with the corresponding digital input. "I have an obsolete Outlaw [or Rotel, Anthem, Denon, Onkyo, etc.]; when will their promised new pre/pro with SACD and DVD-A digital inputs finally be coming out?"

These last five years or so have brought to home theater the disposable preamp and receiver (first DD5.1, then DTS, followed by 7.1 and DPL2, with SACD/DVD-A digital still to come). Also, there is the disposable DVD player (interlaced, then progressive, with high-definition DVD still to come). Plus all the software (CDs and DVDs) to be reissued in the new formats.

Do you ever get the feeling that key mass-market manufacturers and studios have us all eating out of their hands?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Alex, the key to this hobby is to get a great piece of equipment with the formats you enjoy and just ENJOY IT, IMO. I have never seen a movie on anything bigger than a 27" screen. I don't have progressive scan. I don't have a 7.1 system. But I really enjoy my HT. Do I care if I have the latest and greatest? Not really. Do I want the best equipment I can afford? Of course. But if I don't have the money to get the latest and greatest it doesn't really phase me because I've tailored my system to provide maximum enjoyment NOW and into the future. My tendencies shift more towards the audio side of this hobby, so I was an early convert to SACD. I'm not a big videophile, so the large monitors and/or feature laden DVD players are not my cup of tea. But I cannot tell you how much I look forward to getting home from work and putting some tunes on and relaxing. There are plenty of us out there still listening to LP's and CD's and those formats have been around for years. I'm sure there are people out there still watching and renting VHS tapes. I doubt their enjoyment suffers as a result.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Actually, I feel lucky to have been quite cautious with my purchases during the last 3 years. Focusing on understanding and improving the quality of my speaker/room soundscape first. I'm a member of the 90/10 music/HT crowd anyway.

I did buy a good 5-channel amp, an inexpensive DD/DTS processor and a 3rd generation interlaced DVD player for my NTSC 36" TV, but have not participated in the ongoing DSP/receiver/prepro frenzy yet. Also, I haven't dipped into the HD, progressive scan, and FP product side yet.

I am getting close to jumping in on the prepro front though, especially with the latest offerings at reasonable prices.

Now. it's just trying to get the best 2-channel, bass management, and DSP unit to fit my needs. This is still not an easy decision, but it gets easier when you have multiple choices for quality prepro sound in the $1-3K range.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
This is what progress is all about, though, isn't it? Progress in technology has given us so many great choices with regard to home theater gear - choices that not that long ago, were nowhere to be found.

I'm always amazed at the amount of gear out there that isn't too expensive and provides really good quality for the money. Even if you don't want to invest a ton of cash into this hobby (and you certainly can if you want to) there are some great choices out there.

Alex F.

Second Unit
Agreed. My entire purpose for obtaining high-quality audio and video gear has always been for the maximum enjoyment of the art (i.e., music and films). And, my career is in the world of science, so progress is what I live for.

What I was getting at is the rollout of new formats every few months. Planned obsolesence is becoming more apparent all the time. With a little foresight and planning, the industry could have moved more directly to some of the latest formats, instead of the current dribs-and-drabs method. It wasn't necessary to introduce competing multichannel music formats (the same almost occurred with DVD-Video). Will SACD players be a doorstop in two years? Maybe yes, maybe no. Same for DVD-A units. Maybe they'll kill off each other and we'll go back to the sonically-limited Redbook CD.

I have long been an early adopter. For instance, I've enjoyed various types of surround sound since the early 1970s. In fact, I haven't listened to audio via a TV's speakers since 1971 (I tapped into a black & white tube TV's audio output stage and fed it to a Marantz receiver while I was still in high school). I latched onto laserdisc very quickly. We purchased our first DD5.1 preamp, the Denon AVP-8000, way back in early 1996. And the first available DVD player in February 1997 (for about three weeks there weren't even DVD discs available yet).

But despite having the luxury of obtaining whatever components we'd like, my wife and I have recently decided to let the industry go through this spastic format period first. Then, hopefully, the smoke will clear and we'll be ready for the next round of serious home-theater upgrades.

In the meantime, we're focusing on changes to our primary two-channel system. For my wife's ease of use, can I find a solid-state preamp and power amp that will truly please my ears long-term (I've used tube gear for about 20 years)? The search continues...

Have a nice weekend, one and all.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
{quote}

When I think back though, if I'd bought the Krell HTS unit (used, which I decided against) over a year ago with no dpl2, 7.1, etc., I'd still be happy as a clam and would be for years to come. Why? Because even without the newest features, the thing flat out sounds incredible

I have also been thinking about this same thing lately. Something like the Krell, Ead or Meridian ? I was thinking that GREAT 5.1 sound might be better then good 7.1. I have a 7.1 setup now but would consider going to 5.1 if theres a pre out there thats head and shoulders above the 7.1 pre's and receivers being mentioned..price is a factor though

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
I have also been thinking about this same thing lately. Something like the Krell, Ead or Meridian ? I was thinking that GREAT 5.1 sound might be better then good 7.1. I have a 7.1 setup now but would consider going to 5.1 if theres a pre out there thats head and shoulders above the 7.1 pre's and receivers being mentioned..price is a factor though
Keep your eyes open - as the new 7.1 Pre/Pros come out, people will be dumping their "old" DC-2's, HTS's and AVP's to "Upgrade". Living just behind the curve takes a little patience, but saves tons of $!

Peter

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone wish to make a table of the pros and cons for the Outlaw 950 and the Rotel 1066?

Oubviously the 950 has a radio, the 1066 doesn't. The 1066 has HDCD. the 950 doesn't. And then we go to bass management and analog passthru...

You get the idea...

T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks