What's new

ISF question (1 Viewer)

Dan_asdf

Agent
I plan on getting my HDTV calibrated sometime in the near future, but I had a couple questions before I do it. Do all the inputs for the TV need to be calibrated seperately and is that just part of the normal calibration, or is it just one input that usually gets calibrated? If its just one, which one should I pay to get ISF'd, the DVD input, or the Digital cable input?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dan. I'm going to move this over to the "Display Devices" where the ISF guys hang out.

In general, each input has separate settings and it takes 1-2 hours to adjust things per input so you are often charged.

You should get every progressive/HD source calibrated. If your "Digital Cable" is just standard-def signals, it's not worth it in my opinion. But talk to your ISF guy. He may be able to give it a 'quickie' calibration to match the low-quality source.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Cable is a waste of time and money when it comes to calibration.

The TV will typically be calibrated based on the DVD player and those settings will act as the "base" for the TV. Typically, once the DVD section is done, the TV is plenty close enough for cable and satellite and even HDTV.

Note ... when we talk inputs, we are talking about input signal types and not composite versus ant versus S-video versus component ...

Signal types are 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i where applicable.

Regards

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
How do you usually go about finding someone that is experienced enough to do an ISF calibration in your area?

I mostly want to fix my overscan, so that I can see the Windows taskbar when I'm on my HTPC.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Figure out a short list of people that you might be interested and ask the people here for some feedback.

Regards

johnfs661

Auditioning
Real Name
john
calibration is about seeing detail in the darkest black and the brightest white and detail in everything in between, so if we talk about detail i would say get your HD inputs done, so if you use a BD player or have HD satellite / cable i would have those inputs done. Now depending on the model of tv you have some tv's when u calibrate the hdmi port it does it for all of them. Some do it for every input. When this is done, what you are supost to see is what the producer see's when he is filming.

i hope this helps out a little.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by johnfs661

calibration is about seeing detail in the darkest black and the brightest white and detail in everything in between, so if we talk about detail i would say get your HD inputs done, so if you use a BD player or have HD satellite / cable i would have those inputs done. Now depending on the model of tv you have some tv's when u calibrate the hdmi port it does it for all of them. Some do it for every input. When this is done, what you are supost to see is what the producer see's when he is filming.

i hope this helps out a little.
Welcome to the forum. It appears you didn't notice you replied to a thread that has been idle for over 7 years. Please consider doing some more home work on video display calibration theory and practice. Your grasp of the fundamental concepts definitely needs some work. Here's a link to a good place to start: http://www.lionav.com/info.php .

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks