What's new

Is using Windex on a sony wega screen bad? (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
todd:

My personal theory is too keep chemicals away from A/V gear. I've used the following for cleaning my TV screens for past 10 years. 2 paper towels, 1 damp w/ warm water - not dripping wet (for wiping) and 1 dry (to dry). Works like a charm.

Rich B.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I use Windex and paper towels to clean my WEGA screen with no problems. Just make sure you spray the cleaner on the towel and not directly on the glass. When you have children in the house who leave greasy fingerprints on the screen, I've found that warm water doesn't do a very good job at removing them.

DP

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
Just be cautious not to use ammonia on glass as it has a way of etching the glass on tv's and computer monitors, etc.

I used windex on my old 27" RCA all the time, the non-ammoniated kind though.

Matt

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
My Wega manual says to use a damp cloth. I messed my computer screen up cleaning it with windex. Must of had ammonia in it. My computer screen coating is coming off.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
It's me, the warm water paper towel guy again.
FWIW, I have a 14-month old that puts many nice hand smudges all over my living room 36" Panasonic all the time. Damp (warm water) Paper Towel + Elbow Grease = Clean Screen Everytime.
:)
Rich B.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Probably a slightly damp cloth with diluted soap solution would be best, with vertical wiping only. There is a product I use on my trinitron computer screen called Endust for Electronics that should be safe as well but it's your call if you want to try it or not. It does an excellent job on the monitor though and is made specifically for such surfaces.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've used Windex, which contains ammonia, on television screens and computer monitors for more than 15 years, and have never had a problem with it "etching" the glass bezel. Never. The only result it has ever given me is a nice, clean piece of glass. From personal experience it's my opinion that the warm water method is overly cautious.

DP

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Just curious, we all own TV's. What does the Manufacturer recommend to do in the Owner's Manual for your TV? That should be the best and safest way to go.

Rich B.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
The manual on my Wega says to use a damp cloth and not to use any type of glass cleaner. So that is what I use.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Another WEGA guy here.

Damp cloth (warm water) followed by dry cloth.

And yes, elbow grease is required especially when you have a 2 1/2 year old who likes to "fingerpaint" the screen with his saliva! Yuck!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I use a non-amonia-based cleaning fluid intended for eyeglasses on my WEGA, as well as my bedroom Toshiba (and back-up Panasonic). Works great. I also agree that even amonia-based Windex, if used judiciously, will not harm your screen.

Also, spray the cleaning fluid onto a very soft cloth, and then wipe the screen gently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks