What's new

is this receiver a good buy ? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd bargain for a better price or get something else.

There are many lower priced AVR's out there, that I would take over this one....

Yamaha 5890
Denon 3805

Right now I am hot on the trail for an H/K 7300....

I currently use a Denon 4802 quite a few years old now, but I'd take it over the JVC still as well.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Thats an expensive label your buying there..

Ill sell you the THX badge from my receiver for only $600 than you can buy one and slap that on it.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I see that you just recently signed up...so let me shed some light on the fact that JVC has to pay to get that receiver THX certified because it must go through all those tests! So you can bet that there passing that down to their customers....I think their might be some DSP modes associated with the THX label but I think that they are pretty useless although I have never used them. Take a look and HK, Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha...you will find some quality stuff there!

RyanJE

Second Unit
True, if you educate yourself well about AVRs then THX shouldn't be such a significant factor. Basically THX Does all the evaluating for you and then slaps their name on it. But as Michael stated, this is quite expensive for manufacturers and it increases the price of the unit.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
One of the things the THX people want in a receiver--in my opinion the most important part of their receiver certification requirements*--is enough power to enable the CLEAN reproduction of a very wide dynamic range (i.e. from the actors whispering to the unexpected explosion that occurs right behind them), and this JVC receiver has a power amp that is nothing to giggle at:

120 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.02% THD

And while not a 100% accurate measure of quality, a receiver that weighs 52lbs is no sissy. And the three separate power supplies it has I'm sure contribute to this.

And the bass management for the multichannel input is a good feature for surround music fans.

The MSRP is $2,499 so for $1200 I think this is a really good deal.

* "Controllers, Receivers and Amplifiers: Minimal noise and distortion levels and unparalleled power reserves deliver accurate, pristine sound quality under all conditions." (quoted from here) Though some of the other things they require are now pretty much standard on most decent recievers/processors, except for the decorrellation and re-equalization features which IMO are still useful.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
There are some good deals out there right now on Pioneer Elite if you really want THX. Probably about half of what you are looking at spending. That would give you enough leftover for an SVS:D

RyanJE

Second Unit
Thanks Lance,

Im not saying theres something wrong with wanting THX. Im just saying you can easily get those same specs out of a receiver thats not THX certified. Maybe even better.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree.

Though one advantage for non-HT hobbyists as far as seeing a THX symbol on the front panel is that it gives them a little bit of reassurance that the receiver isn't a total piece of junk. Can you imagine what it must be a like for a Regular Joe kind of guy to walk into an A/V store & try to pick out an entire system based on just what the little info cards say? Hell, WE often have a hard time figuring out this stuff, so it's no wonder there are so many HTiB's available nowadays that are "plug-n-play".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks