Is this dvd player a good deal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_Roberts, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Gary_Roberts

Gary_Roberts Auditioning

I'm looking for a new DVD player and I don't have a huge budget. I'm looking at it to play movies and audio. Recently I've seen this DVD player for sale for $250 (Canadian) It looks like a really good deal because this dvd player can play CDRs, mp3 cds, and most of all it can hold 3 dvds. However, this model is a Canadian model so I haven't found much information on it, it's also made by Sanyo and I've heard bad things about them. Here's a link to the the information page
    http://www.sanyocanada.com/consumer/video/dvd_120.cfm
    Notice that they say the DVD player costs 450 dollars, so I am getting a good price. I just bought a Kenwood VR 505 from them for 200 dollars(Canadian again.) So does anybody have an opinion on this? my other options are a Pioneer DV 340 for $220, a Panasonic RV 21CAK for $280 and a JVC XV s30KB for $250. Thanks for any advice

2. Gary_Roberts

Gary_Roberts Auditioning

Come on, somebody help me pick a dvd player (I guess it's late for Christmas though)

3. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gary,

I've had a Sanyo DVD player that I bought at Costco a year ago last August. I've been very happy with it. From what I've read on this and other forums though, I'd take a hard look at the Panasonic RV31. It is avialable for under $300.00 and seems to be the player of choice in that price range.

I've also read a test in one of the British mags that didn't like the Sanyo as a CD player, though it did say that the picture quality was good.

Larry.