What's new

Is this a cheap and safe way to get a second component input into a Sanyo z1 ? (1 Viewer)

David K.

Second Unit
As of now I'm strapped for cash, I have a pioneer 563 connected to the z1 via component cables, I do not have money to buy a decent component switcher.

I have a second dvd player which is a divx region free player I use to watch my Asian movies, but its connected via S-video, which makes it a pain to watch anamorphic material.

I was looking into this for my second player

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Can I safely use this cable as a second progressive video connection without using a component switcher? The z1 has a monitor input,

but I do not know about the quality of the cable, or compatibility issues regarding break out/adapter cables for projectors.

its onlu $30 for the cable which is a lot cheaper then the $160 audio authority switch box.

Im hoping this'll tide me over until I upgrade to component box.

SimiA

Second Unit
You can use that cable, or you could buy an A/V switch box form Radio Shack for $25. You have to make sure that the "Y" cable is connected to the "video" input. The "Pb" & "Pr" can be connected to the audio inputs in any order.
I've used them for a year now with good results, and it added component inputs to my set.
Vb

David K.

Second Unit
is there a lot of signal loss with the radio shack trick? Will it mess with the z1s auto de-interlacing function?

SimiA

Second Unit
Not at all. Keep your cable runs to 6ft or less.
The only thing that is kinda annoying...you have to get off the couch to switch the selectors manually.
Other than that, I'm using 2 of these units with 3ft cable runs and the PQ is amazing on my FP, and Plasma set.
Vb

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I second Simia's recommendation. I too have one of them Rat Shack selectors with an HDTV receiver, DVD player and an Xbox hooked up to a Sanyo Z1.

David K.

Second Unit
well if I use the rat shack I will be using a 30' set canare component cabling to the back of the room, and 5' component cables to the switcher.

so I will be losing information with the 30 footer? My z1 seems to be sensitive to low quality transfers and older movies, the deinterlacer kicks on old films and even some progressive signal scenes.

Im wondering if I use such a switch that the signal will degrade enough to cause the deinterlacer to kick in a lot. and on a 90" screen when ever it does that its annoying as heck.

but luckily it only does that on badly transfer video and very old dvds.

David K.

Second Unit
also can someone explain the technical aspects of why the green "y" plugs needs to be used in the video connection?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Aside from the component cables separating the red, green and blue colours they are also separating the chrominance and synchronization information.
The s-video signal separates the information into two, colour and luminance.
The composite cable puts all the information into one.
I doubt your breakout cable from ebay will work on a z1. You'd probably need an adapter.
My VGA input on my NEC projector accepts a progressive as well as a interlaced signal. My projector doesn't have a component input. NEC has decided to design their projectors that way.

David K.

Second Unit
why dont you think it wont work? the z1 has a monitor in 15 pin plug. Why would this require an adapter?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
A progressive scan player is not sending the same signal as what a monitor accepts. I actually tried once to use my breakout cable like the one you showed from my DVD player into my PC monitor and the result was a dark screen. My projector accepts a progressive scan signal into the VGA in because that's the way it's designed.
You'll have to look into the specs of the Z1 to see if it has a built in adapter for this.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=930-0821

SimiA

Second Unit
Ian-Fl, are you saying that the Z1 will not accept a 15 pin VGA input???
You say that, "
I actually tried once to use my breakout cable like the one you showed from my DVD player into my PC monitor".
That's not what he asked as I understood the question.
I thought he asked if the breakout cable could be used with his Z1, not a PC monitor!!!!
I have a NEC FP, and I use a breakout cable.
Could you elaborate??
Thanks,
Vb

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I said I didn't know if the Z1 accepts a component breakout cable. NEC projectors do because they have the built in adapter.
I was trying to use the example of the monitor to prove that not all projectors and monitors accept the same signal just because they have the same VGA inputs.

SimiA

Second Unit
Oh, OK. I thought he said. "the z1 has a monitor in 15 pin plug".
I must have misunderstood.
If the Z1 has a VGA input, it should accept the component breakout. Of course, I could be wrong.
Vb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks