What's new

Is there anyway to make a direct signal better? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have been involved in a couple of different threads regarding upconversion of signals. I am really not too concerned with it from my progressive scan dvd player as the picture looks fabulous. My gripe is the absolute horrible picture quality I get from satellite. Is there anyway to improve the picture quality without buyin a new hdtv? Is there a scaler I can hook up in between my satellite box and my tv? I was watching an Avalanche game on Fox Rocky Mountain sports form Directv the other night and was just sitting there thinking to myself what a terrible picture I was looking at. I felt like I was playing NHL 95 on the ps one.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
With satellite and cable, as long as they keep over-compressing the signals in order to cram more in more channels, the problem's just going to keep getting worse before it gets better. Any upconverting your TV is doing is small potatoes compared to what's done to the signal before you ever get it.

You might ask your question on the Audio/Video Sources board, since that's where the problem lies.

Jan

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Did you try using the different video outputs? I have the Scientific Atlanta 3100HD cable box. Me (as well as others here and on the AVS Forum) have found the best NTSC picture NOT from the S-video output but from the composite output. You're receiver may have the same quirk.

It'll only take a second for you to try it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I just got Time Warner Cable w/ that STB. Haven't tried the composite video output, just the component out, which seems to upconvert everything to 1080i. The cable guy also connected the RF coax for me and suggested using that for non-HD stuff although I haven't really tried that input much.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks