What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is there any DVD-A players with bass managment? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I would like to buy a DVD-A player but I need bass management. I had a Toshiba 4700 and it sounded bad with DVD-A but the DTS and DD sounded great. So I took it back and kept my 2800.

Is there a good but inexpensive player with bass management?

Wes

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
John,

that is an option, but don't you think bass management is something that should be required on a dvd-audio/sacd player? I do.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kyle,

It doesn't matter what you or I think should be required. It matters what's been delivered.

Over the next few years the market will adapt digital outputs, so it's (long term) moot.

It has taken far too long for digital transfers to get adopted and implemented.

Regards,

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer 45a and 47ai both have almost complete bass management. The only discs that give them problems are some (not even all) DVD-A 4.0 discs, which are relatively rare anyway. I think the Denon 2900 has complete bass management.

The problem with the ICBM, is that for players that do time alignment, the ICBM goes after that, and you will get phase problems to the sub. Now whether you can hear that or not, is another question... :) Or, you can elect to have no time (and distance) compensation for those particular players, and then the question is, can you hear the effects of *that*. :D But the ICBM is definitely more flexible.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Wes,

Variable crossover frequency, and ability to redirect from small to large front channels. Variable subwoofer output (typically set to full output), and 6.1 capability are the big reasons for ICBM over the internal bass management.

For most, the 563A will do the job just fine.

Regards,

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
my Pioneer 656, European equivalent to the 45A, has no good manegment, since I can´t put the .1 info on my mains. If I tell the player "no Sub", it just drops the .1 channel entirely.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Can someone explain exactly what bass management features the Pioneer DV-45a/DV-47ai have? I'm very interested in purchasing one of these.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

This has been discussed ad nauseum....please search for "45A BM" or "47a BM". There are threads with hundreds of posts.

Short story, as Kevin said, they both offer BM, but there are some quirks that some will find unacceptable. The biggest flaws that I recall are that it does not redirect the .1 to the mains when you have no sub, and it does not send bass to the sub on certain DVD-A 4.0 discs when you DO have a sub. The crossover and slopes are also non-adjustable and may not work for you.

If you want BM to be 100% correct, you will need an external solution, such as an ICBM.

Once you get over the hurdle of "why the hell do I have to pay for this?" you will never regret it.

BGL

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- Do you know if the 2200:

a) redirects the center channel for DVD-A/SACD if you choose "none"

b) redirects the LFE info to the mains if you choose "no" sub and "large" mains for DVD-A/SACD

All DVD-V players have to do this for DD/DTS, but most universal DVD-A/SACD players don't do these two things for either of the high rez formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks