Is there a way to build my room so that changing the wiring won't be so hard...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I'm nervous about sheetrocking my room, because what if I need to change the layout, or feed another network cable through the room for internet, or whatever. I'm new to the home theater setup anyway, and I'm nervous about wanting to upgrade or rearrange later. Is there a way to build my room so that feeding new cables through the wall won't be such a pain?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    First off, I am going to move this thread to Home Theatre Construction & Interiors.

It looks like you may be in the market for conduits to run behind the wall, allowing you to fish cables in and pull them out. I don't know how feasible this is for an entire room though. Give us some details if you can.

3. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

I thought about the same thing as I'm planning my preliminary construction in my head right now...

I thought of running some 1" PVC pipe in the rafters first to be used as a conduit...

The other thought I had was to run the wiring behind the crown molding or behind the base boards?

M.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You need to run a wide enough conduit so that you can "easily" run a wire along the length of the conduit, that will endoubtedly have at least 2 90 degree elbows in it. Also, when you run the first set of wires, you need to also run some string along with it, which you can use to pull in new wires.

5. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

6. Jerry St.Marie

Smarthome's latest catalog has 3/4" and 2" flexible raceway tubing in 50' length for the larger and 100' for the smaller. It looks like just what you need.

7. Justin Bowser

What I did in my living room was to use my router table to make custom baseboard moulding out of 1x4 stock. It was thick enough for me to route a generous groove/channel in the back side to run my cables.