What's new

Is there a way to build my room so that changing the wiring won't be so hard... (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I'm nervous about sheetrocking my room, because what if I need to change the layout, or feed another network cable through the room for internet, or whatever. I'm new to the home theater setup anyway, and I'm nervous about wanting to upgrade or rearrange later. Is there a way to build my room so that feeding new cables through the wall won't be such a pain?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
First off, I am going to move this thread to Home Theatre Construction & Interiors.

It looks like you may be in the market for conduits to run behind the wall, allowing you to fish cables in and pull them out. I don't know how feasible this is for an entire room though. Give us some details if you can.

Mark.D

Agent
I thought about the same thing as I'm planning my preliminary construction in my head right now...

I thought of running some 1" PVC pipe in the rafters first to be used as a conduit...

The other thought I had was to run the wiring behind the crown molding or behind the base boards?

M.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
You need to run a wide enough conduit so that you can "easily" run a wire along the length of the conduit, that will endoubtedly have at least 2 90 degree elbows in it. Also, when you run the first set of wires, you need to also run some string along with it, which you can use to pull in new wires.

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
You need to run a wide enough conduit so that you can "easily" run a wire along the length of the conduit, that will endoubtedly have at least 2 90 degree elbows in it. Also, when you run the first set of wires, you need to also run some string along with it, which you can use to pull in new wires.
Yes this is a good idea, make sure you have a STRONG feed wire to pull other cables, if you can fine a long bike cable or speedometer cable those area great as they do bends well, also you can run 1.5"-2" PVC as a wire runner in the walls as pvc is smooth on the bends and wont give you much trouble, I use it in my install on the rack wiring. right now i am a bit sick from painting.

Will

Smarthome's latest catalog has 3/4" and 2" flexible raceway tubing in 50' length for the larger and 100' for the smaller. It looks like just what you need.

What I did in my living room was to use my router table to make custom baseboard moulding out of 1x4 stock. It was thick enough for me to route a generous groove/channel in the back side to run my cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks