What's new

Is the widescreen version on "The Black Stallion" disc Anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Although the MGM DVD has a widescreen presentation, it most definitely is not anamorphic.

(The only review indexed by DVD Basen, the one at Digitally Obsessed, mistakenly lists the disc as being anamorphic. It definitely isn't. I played the disc to confirm that it's not.)

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
Thanks Randy. I was afraid of that. My daughter recently watched this at school and loved it. I was hoping to purchase it for her as a birthday present she turns 7 tomorrow. I have a front projector set that isn't condusive to non-enhanced discs... bummer.

-EJ

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This movie is astoundingly beautiful so everyone should own it. It was the first laserdisc I viewed on my 16x9 direct-view TV and I purchased the DVD the day it came out.

but if you want to see the definition of a *bad* 4x3 lbxed non-anamoprhic transfer just *loaded* with edge-enhancement, sadly it's a prime candidate :frowning:

Hopefully MGM/WB (whoever owns it at this point) will do this title justice with a stunning new HD 16x9 transfer and SE treatment. I'd double dip in a heartbeat! :D

-dave

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

I couldn't agree more. My wife and I were reminising about how we both saw it as kids and remembered how beautiful of a movie it was.

This is truly a special film that deserves a new modern treatment.

-EJ

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I never did see this movie --- I've been wanting to for a while though. I'll have to give it a rent soon -- not looking forward to all that EE though.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This belongs to MGM, and is deserving of a special edition. Most if not all the principal cast and crew are still around to contribute. One of the most beautifully photographed movies ever, yet it looked... I don't know how to put it.. rather strange and creepy on the DVD transfer. Never looked great on laser, either. When will we get the definitive edition of this outstanding family (in a good sense) movie?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
And it didn't even get an Oscar nomination for cinematography. I was in shock at the time.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Should Coppola be doing a special edition?

It seems like Zeotrope's doing everything else . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks