What's new

Is the TB's 8" still the cheapest/best small box woof.!? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Aside from the MCM-8 that has been known sag out after a month or so, is the TB-8 still the best (available) & afforable smaller Vas, lower FS, long throw small box 8" driver out their???

Anybody know of something better thats small box capable even if the cost is slightly more per driver?

Tired of waiting on the new smaller vas, lower FS, long throw TB-10" and 6.5" to be picked up. Doubt the 10" will get picked up, but PE mentioned (in January) that TB's new ~ 6.5" long throw was supposed become available in early March & very reasonable, but no mention yet. :frowning:

And Adires lil monster xbl-6" seems to still be in the works to become available for "sale to DIY'ers"..

Would like to finish a small lil computer sub, and sick of looking at the MDF & Pecan vinal veneer.. It's for the neighbor and he's also getting a little cranky with me.. :rolleyes

Geoff

Bob Reimer

Agent
The 740C is a great little driver! I believe that the following will shortly be available W5-1138SA, WT-934, WQ- 935 and W8-933.

The Adire Extremis 6 design has been finalized and prototypes are awaited. It has similar specs to the SS 8545 except it's XBL^2, has 11+ mm XMAX and a smoother high end. It will also be shielded.

Regards
Bob

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Have you seen the new (I believe) Dayton shielded DVC subwoofers from Parts Express? The 8 inch version has:

Vas = 1.4 cu ft
Fs = 28Hz
Qts = 0.41
Xmax = 6mm

I know that 6mm isn't exactly a lot. But this woofer is only $22. And, if PE is being consistent with their usual specifications, that's 6mm in each direction for a total 12mm peak-to-peak. I don't recall all the details of the TB 8 and the MCM 8 but I do seem to remember that their seemingly impressive excursion numbers were really peak-to-peak numbers. So maybe this PE woofer would be a fair and cheap substitute.

Its part # 295-480

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Bob

Yes thats the question, how many of these new TB drivers will actualy become available! Also Allan found that the 704 stated measured params are a lttle off per driver. He posted some measuring results and their averages sometime back, posted here somewhere. The 704s Vas was quite different from driver to driver and FS also if I remember correcty.

I don't know about TB's (5") W5-1138SA, but the (6.5") W6-1139SA ~ 11.5 "one way linear", is supposed to definitely be picked up by Parts Express. Also pricing has been hinted to be surprisingly cheap!
Heres the TB long throw 6.5"

The WT-934 ~ 10" stamped basket-12mm "one way linear" looks some what promising, but will this driver and other smaller TB long throw drivers mentioned here and above, actually get picked up by "Nuera", PE, maybe Creative Sounds, etc...???
Seems every year they/TB pumps out a number of new drivers to only see a few of the lot make it to distributor/seller.

Then theirs the Apex-Jr 8" at 70.00 a pair, or 39.00 I beliver per, with aproxmently 4.5 to 5mm one way. Very mean looking little 8, but extension looks somewhat limited to the mid to upper 30's less room gain.

Hi Ryan:
Yes, I've looked into a "number" of PE's smaller 6" to 10"drivers, including both the Quatro and Dayton DVC-8" (#295-480).
Really at this point with what is currently available and cheap, the DVC 295-489 is something I am looking at due to cost. Especially (when Is clam loading 2 sets of them) in a push pull set up. Then attempt porting with a folded slot vent, or possibly even dual PR's.

Wished they made a un-sheild version of the 8" PE ~ 295-480, as stray mag fields are not going to be a problem with this particular subs placement. The shorter driver depth would be a plus for this possible driver configeration/box design and trying to keep the box on the smaller side.

=====>
Might anyone know a source where you can find ~{precut cork, rubber, or pressed paper 6" and 8" driver gaskets}~ to build clearence for Iso clam mounting, instead of cutting the dreaded MDF spacer rings??? =====>

The TB-704 is a nice driver for the price and still in the running for sure,, for the simplist basic single driver folded slot port deign. Some slight boosting down low might help extension, but it won't set any spl records for sure...

Yup, I'm still wandering nearly aimlesly with this little project. :b

Maybe grab a $50.00 8" KLH powered sub off Ebay, then throw a concrete block on top and call it good! Here ya go Jim, all done...:D

Cheers

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Kyle,

Does REAudio sell through other vendors - or, only through their site? Their drivers look interesting ... very interesting for someone needing a smaller enclosure to fit into a tight space.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Kyle:

Been poking & checking around a bit since you posted the lil RE-8.

The RE-8 from what I've read to this point runs, around 80 to 100.00 a driver. Not exactly cheap, tho they seem to think it's a steal...Also these prices are from 6 month old reviews, so the cost may indeed be less now.

Available threw authorized dealers and also their web site. But whpo sells RE???

I have not been to RE Audio yet...:b Just found out the sites address and will be checking it out later.

Have been rading a few reveiws on the RE-8. Supposedly the cheapest and lowest end driver in their sub-woofer line up, at least as of late last year.
Also found some RE-8 TS-params to go play with from a woofer reveiw that was linked from over at Kyle site.

Kyle:
Same question as Wayne, might you know who sells RE aside from their own site????

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Yep, contact Marshall at Visionary and he can set you up. For the money I dont think there's another 8" out there that can touch it at $55ea shipped or $100 shipped for a pair.

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
The RE8's are a spectacular deal for the money! They have a nice build quality and can take 175 watts each RMS. Did I mention they have 12mm xmax one-way... :D

I have a pair of them ready to go into my '04 Ford Crew Cab - enclosure is 1 cu. ft. for the pair after displacement, ported and tuned to 31 Hz, with 360 watts to drive them. Should sound alright.

Aaron Smith

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, this thread appeared today in this forum -- just as I was contemplating the use of a small driver to make a "mini" sub.

I have (2) Shivas in the box along with my mostly completed 85L ported boxes. However, I need to have about 4 or 5 more hours to apply some of the finishing touches to the boxes. After living without bass for the past 6 or 7 weeks - after selling my old Dayton 15" DVC-based sub, I passed several ideas through my mind from picking up a new sub to use until my Shiva boxes are done or even to just mount a Shiva and use the boxes for a while, then finish them later.

However, I thought I'd spring $39.99 for a new 10" driver and utilize some of the many pieces of surplus MDF sitting in my garage. In about an hour this evening, I was able to whip up the following .75 cu. ft. box. I didn't brace the box, but did fill it with approximately 50% polyfill which came in sheet form and was attached to the walls of the cabinet with staples.

I brought the sub in from the garage about 30 minutes ago, took a few pictures, connected the sub up to my receiver, the Nady pro amp and did a quick re-calibration by ear.

I have no idea how well this little "Sunfire Killer" (yeah right ;) ) will do with home theater. But, it's currently providing a nice amount of bass for the DVD music concerts that I'm tossing in an out of the DVD player. It doesn't sound too boomy. Oh, one note on the Nady amp. Damn, those fans are loud. :frowning:

Granted, it would take a lot from this sub to even compete with the 15" Dayton DVC that I'm trying to fill in for. However, for $39.99 and a little of my time, it sounds surpisingly nice. Actually, I'm sure it sounds better than the subs up to $250 that I would have purchased to use as in "interim" sub.

Parts List:
- Rockford Fosgate 10" 8 Ohm Subwoofer - RFZ3810 for $39.99 from Best Buy. The "in-store" price is $49.99, so order it on-line and select "in-store" pickup if you want to get it at a good price.
- Nady Pro Amplifier - XA-1100
- Misc. connectors between receiver and pro amp
- 15' of zip cord to connect the sub to my amp
- Scraps of MDF and chip board for the cabinet construction
- Caulking to seal the insides of the cabinet
- Sheets of polyfill (for stuffing)

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Here is another 8" long stroke from Peerless. Its the 205swr39xls. I could not find anything at the web site butSolen.ca sell them for $64 US or $83 CAN.
Here is link for the specs which pan out nicely...205swr39xls :)
I think I'll get this or the Dayton 8" shielded...??

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Frank

Yeh some what interesting trying to pull off a tiny dual Iso push pull with a folded port. :rolleyes

Send me the plans & drivers when you get it all figured out will you Frank...;)

Cheers

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well I am still "lil-sub" subless, but did build a 10" Credence driver based ported sub (uses 3-2"pp ports) for the neighbor.
He is now happy, but I'm still tweaking on it. Looks very simalar to a baby SVS-PB-1 in style. Sent Kyle a quick pic last night while asking him about a driver I'm trying to locate.

Back to the 8's:
This multi 8" driver project I've been playing with is as much a subwoofer, as it is a learning experience for me. That and the fact that I've never seriously messed with Isobaric's of any kind and then possibly adding Push Pull arrangments to that. Should be a fun and interesting learning project at a min. Or a lot of work just adding to a pile of frustration, who knows!!!:D

As far as the multipul 8" driver lil sub I've been nawing at, it still has realy gone no-where. Just allot more indepth reading, looking, and simming to this point. Today I will call both Visionary and Nuera to speak to them both on pricing for the drivers that I've narrowed it down to.. Either RE-8's or TB-8's, pricing or the best deal will be the deciding factor as to wh gets the 8" cash...;)

Hope to get something going with this sub in the next week, assuming I can get the drivers here. If I go RE-8's, it will use 2 drivers/clam-Isoload, my least favorite design, tho the better driver as I understand it. If I go with the TB-8's, it will use 4 drivers in a Dual/Iso-Clamload & also in a Push Pull configuration. Basic simming shows promise, (soild to the upper 20's no room gain), but proof is in the pudden as they say, and it is definitely an interesting thing to look at and wild project compared to what I have built ion the past.....

Either brand of 8" driver/s will be driven with an on board 300 watt plate amp with (switching for on/off boost of 3.5-db at aprox 30-hz to 35-Hz). The mild boost most likely will not be needed depending on ending encloser volume and measured tuning.

A SS-filiter in line at 20hz/12db to start, and this may change in freq/slightly "maybe higher" and slope/steeper-36db, all depending on the finished subs measured in room FR results.

A single 8" with 10 to 12mm linear throw is just not enough (deep-frq spl) for the trouble, IMO..
But multi drivers (TB-8's x 4) and I might be happy. Yes in the loading design I have choosen for them, it's really only 2-8" driver output but with better power handeling and supposed cleaner more accurate output..

In the end, if the project gets scraped for what ever reason, the 8's will all have homes in my trucks/cars/& bulldozer, so know $$ love loss... Also the plate amp would eventually find a new driver to power..

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Rory

That is a viable option and just found out as of yesterday, that he has picked up the whole 03 line.

I just grabbed all the listed Prams for the 1003 and will play a bit later with them. At the same time, the BP-1003 is a touch pricey and for the cost of the driver alone, I can pick up all needed drivers and the amp with out even haggeling on price.
Also it would appear from just a quick glace at the TS-Params, that sealed it would need some heavy eq-ing, LT'ed, or PR'ed, which just adds to the big cost for the little long throw bass maker.

As I mentioned above, the 2 designed project/s are (very interesting to me) and tackle something I really want to give a shot. It will be a great learning project/experience which should perform fine for it's intended application. And if I am un-happy for some reason with it in the end, no harm no foul, as I have needed uses for all the parts used to build the thing...

Thanks for the idea anyway.

Acoustic-Visions, AKA-Kyle for those who maynot know, has a new 10-incher about to be released, with 18mm throw and much cheaper. He sent me a link to a pic when emailing me back,,, but for some reason it says page can not be found.

=======>
Maybe Kyle will see this post and can elabarate on this 10" driver a bit!!!!
=======>
I do not know if it uses XBL tech or not???
=======>

Regards
Geoff

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I was going to offer the 1003 as the most high-performance option available to you. The 1003 made quite a stir a year or so back when it was introduced, while the Blueprint company was under its second owner, who was the one who shut it down. Blueprint's first owner, "Blueprint Pat", was quite active on some of the popular message boards back then, including DiySubwoofers.org. The 1003 has such a substantial motor structure that I imagine you'd have to take its big volume into account when designing the internal air space of your enclosure.

I guess if you wanted the most subwoofer in a cubic foot of space that you could get, there wouldn't be many options better than the 1003.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Geoff,
I have another option for you. Check out the link below for the 8" driver (a little expensive, but I bet you would only need one for your intended project). I know it is a "car" driver, but it looks like an impressive (and attractive) little beast. I've used other ED drivers in the past and found them to be extremely well-built, and they perform very well.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/8a.htm
JP

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Rory:
Yes the 1003 is no doubt one mean little 10, and your right that it's motor structure is huge and would take a decent chunk out of the box volume. Can't disagree with it being one of the best 10's out their for sure, just to much change-$$ for me to swallow.

Jim:
Yes I am familar with E-Designs and their exellent drivers. Seems their talked anout non stop on the forums. The ED-A Series not just being serious SPL monsters, but also capable of doing it with excellent SQ....
I've read a few high roller car guys that where just blown away with the ED-A 8's, just could not belive thats what they where hearing, even after looking right at them while playing....Funny

And yes, that is one very nice looking 8-inch driver (one I would not want to hide), and the cost, tho a touch pricey, is not as bad as I had thought it might be.

I got side tracked this evening at my parents place and was not able to make the calls I wanted to Marshall on the RE's, and John or Billy on the TB's.

I'll run some quick & dirty sims on these couple new drivers and see what I can come up with. "So far" from a smaller box size roughly about 1ft^3 & a cost to performace perspective, the 4-TB-8 set up seems the logical cheapest $$ choice.
(Aprox 200 or so includig the 300-watt plate amp), but not necessarly the best performace choice! :D

As my father always said about drag racing, speed cost money boy, SO HOW FAST YOU WANA GO! ;)
It applies to sub drivers, just like anything else!

This was supposed to be a cheap little project, what happened!

Cheers
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks