What's new

Is the Pronto worth the $ since I have the Radio Shack 1994? (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing a Pronto TU-1000, and am trying to figure out if the purchase is necessary. I currently own a RS 1994 and am very happy with it but with the prices dropping with the new Pronto's out, it make me wonder if the upgrade is necessary. I read a review on the 2000 and it states that it carries twice the features and twice the memory, so is the 1000 worth the $200 it would cost me? I would love some feedback from current 1000 users and even those who might have upgraded to the 2000. Thanks for the advice.
------------------
At my signal, unleash Hell.......
Toshiba 57H81-(coming soon)
Denon 3802
Panasonic RP-91
Toshiba 808 6-Head SVHS
Definitive 2002TL's Mains
Definitive CLR2002 Center
Definitive BPX2 Surrounds

Jim Lenneman

Stunt Coordinator
Micheal,
Twice the features and twice the memory? Well not exactly. Feature wise, the difference is that the 2000 has a built in code base for a large list of equipment. This makes it easier to setup, but also uses memory for the code base (it's stored on the remote, not in pronto edit). Some users, if they are comfortable with Pronto Edit would prefer to have the increased memory.
Memory is twice as much, however since the operating system on the 1000 uses some of it, and on the 2000 both the operating system and the code base use memory the USABLE memory is not doubled. Without going into the details, the good news is the 2000 has basically triple, yes triple the usable memory.
Should you buy?? I own a 1000. It is more than, repeat more than adequate memory unless you want to put 200 or 300 CD/DVDs (a megachanger) by name on the remote as individual buttons. I have approximately 156 TV station logos loaded on mine plus a calander and it still controls 8 pieces of equipment. I will admit memory is getting tight, 3% left. This is due to the station logos.
Hope this helps,
Jim L

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
i think the bigger question to ask is: Do you like hard buttons, or can you tollerate the touch screen.
the 15-1994 is a capable remote, and can be programed as im sure you know. its big plus over the pronto is it has buttons you can feel.
i have the 15-1995, and i dont see any reason for a pronto.
i had a touch screen only remote some years ago, and grew to hate it. now the pronto has SOME hard buttons, so it isnt a fair comparason, its nice to click channels and control volume with hard buttons and at least those are there.
ALSO... the nice graphic interfaces on the pronto can be a bit slow (depending on how how you lay your .ccf out).
dont get me wrong, if given a pronto, it take it. i just dont see the extras as worth the extra cash. cant beat it for "wiz bang" factor though. AND a well designes .ccf would be SO nice if your system gets used by others besides you. AND pronto edit gives you something free to tinker with, forever. (i dont think a .ccf is ever complete :) )
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/diyaudio.html
[Edited last by Rich Kraus on September 12, 2001 at 05:34 PM]

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Rich & Jim,
Thanks for the response. I do think the 1994 is an exceptional hard buttoned remote and would have a hard time replacing it. The lower costs of the Pronto have lured me is thus far but to make the purchase, that's a different story. As most audiophiles, I am always looking to add any possible nice touches to my HT setup. This could be upgrading a receiver, speakers, or adding a remote lighting system (which I plan to do as well) Both remotes can control lighting, so no advantages given. I look at the pronto as adding another toy to the list. Another gadget to play with. The question is, does this gadget provide enough features to warrant a purchase. Jim, I like the logo set up you had mentioned and am leaning more than ever to make the purchase. Thanks for your help-Michael

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The T1000 has more then enogh memory for the vast majority of people. I've got 230 plus CD's by CD title in mine plus all my gear and I've still got a decent amount of memory left. If you're going to add things like lighting etc one thing that often gets missed with the pronto is that its IR beam is exceptionally strong. This 'feature' for me is worth the price alone since I can easily control my HT from the kitchen (90 degree corner off rear of HT) so thats an added degree of flexibility...also works well for lighting applications where the sensor isn't located directly in the line of sight etc. Most people buy a pronto with the thought that it would be nice to replace the OEM remotes...that doesn't last long though once you find out how powerful they are. I have never regretted buying mine
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks