What's new

Is the denon 1600 the *best* performer? (1 Viewer)

Demas

Agent
Hi guys, i recently read the dvd shootout and was impressed that the denon 1600 came second overall.Now, what i'm wondering is if the overall percentage is an indication of outright picture quality, or if there is a price performance evaluation

involved.Did the denon 1600 beat *their* flagship player? Sure seemed liked it, and the Krell standard player for $10000.So

the question i ask is, did the denon 1600 really beat all players in overall picture quality, or did the denon come 2nd

overall for price performance? I'm a little confused as to what this means, could anyone please explain? Thanks.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
You know I ve had this player,the Panasonics 62&82,and the sonys 715&755. Igot to say I REALLY regret having to get rid of the Deneon (had to give it up cause of hard times)But when I had it I can tell you he picture is the best Ive seen,sound is beautiful BIG step up from the others I mention,and its kinda elegent to my eyes :D I would Definately recomend it as the best player out there right now.Easily beats the others IMHO. Krell? Sure,if I could afford it that would be it.But for the money this player is hard to beat.Buy it with confidence you certainly wont regret it.Hell Im about to finally rebuy this baby myself :)
The only other contender would be Denons 3800.Looks good but has some quality issues that have yet to be fixed...

Hope this helps,
Luis S

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Did the denon 1600 beat *their* flagship player? Sure seemed liked it, and the Krell standard player for $10000.So
I own the 1600 and its picture quality is top drawer, the best that I have seen. I own Krell's HTS 7.1. Their DVD player would be much better in the audio section especially as a CD player.[see the latest issue(in homes) of Widescreen, they have a review of the 7.1 that talks about D/As in the DVD player] It is disappointing that at their price point they can't do video as well as the 1600.

I don't use my 1600 as a CD player and its dvd-a section is good enough for me [since I like SACD] and the audio for films is very good. The 3800's is better from what I have read. But as I use it, for DVDs, it can't be bet at this time. IMO.

It is a light weight unit so it won't take abuse.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
I have had both the Denon 1600 and the Krell DVD Standard in my system with a Pioneer Elite 520 television, and I actually have the Krell in my system now hooked up to a Marantz plasma. Demas, I would not attempt to comment on the scoring system of the Secrets review, I am sure that Stacy Spears or Don Munsil will be glad to, but in my opinion, the Krell has a cleaner, more noise-free picture than the 1600. This is not to knock the 1600, as it has excellent de-interlacing, a great MPEG decoder, and does many things correctly, but the analog stage of the Krell is very good, and it makes for better overall picture quality. Actually my favorites for overall picture quality have been the Krell, the Denon 9000, and the Philips 962.
With the Krell, you are paying a lot more for the audio quality, which is very much in the same league as their standalone 2 channel CD players. You are also getting a different level of connectivity with component, RGBHV, and VGA video out, and balanced audio out for two channel. You are also getting great cosmetics. For someone looking for high-end two channel sound in a high resolution system, with a large, high resolution display the Krell is an excellent choice. The Denon does manage to give good picture quality with very good CD and DVD-A playback, so is an excellent choice for a whole lot less money.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I prolly misread what the DVD player shootout was testing, but I didn't think they were testing picture quality, just things like it dropped out of 3:2 during certain scenes of DVD's and how long the layer change took, that type of thing.

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Ken,

Shootout 3 wasn't even measuring picture quality, per se. They were evaluating PROGRESSIVE (only) picture quality. :)

Hard to tell what players would have come out on top considering only interlaced picture quality. Don't forget that many home theater setups require superb interlaced picture quality coming out of the DVD player because interlaced video is what an external video processor requires.

Demas

Agent
I spoke with Stacy(dvd shootout), just to verify that the overall percentage scores derive either from a cost/performance standpoint or outright best picture, and Stacy confirmed that percentages were used to show overall best picture.So this basically confirms that the denon 1600 and rp-82 both outperform all other players up to $10000 in picture quality.This is very refreshing to know that a *low-end* denon 1600 beats the picture of the 9000 *flagship* model, as well as the Krell Standard.Stacy's shootout basically answers the myth, that sometimes the more you spend the less you get, sometimes far less as seen in the shootout.

As i'm from South Africa, i hope that the US model is the same as what i've got here, hopefully they are the same though.
I was thinking of buying the H/K dvd 25 player, but found that the dvd 50 performed not that great.

The 3800's is better from what I have read
Are you talking about build and sound quality or picture performance? Because, based on test results, it seems like the denon 1600 has better picture quality than all other denon models including the flagship model, which failed more tests than the 1600.This questions the reasons for having $10000 dvd players, when a player that costs a low $500 can slightly outperform it.That y/c delay seems like quite a big problem, and it's scary to think that denons low cost player can get this aspect corrected.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Demas,

Luis, why would you want this player even for $8000? It achieved 78% overall, and failed 5 tests
Not to put words in Luis's mouth, but I believe the answer is: The Krell is better for interlaced use and he has a front projector and uses the built in line doubler instead of the 'progressive' player.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to the upcoming Denon universal dvd player.
That is the one player that I may be forced to upgrade from my present combo of the RP91/CE775 players.;)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Demas,

There are many people here who prefer the picture quality of the Silicon Image chips to the Genesis 2200 chips. "Secrets" simply couldn't tell you which of these two chips "look" better, but it's simply a matter of taste. The consenus tends to be here that the Silicon chips are more appealing for film based material. Also consider that many use their DVD players as SACD/CD/DVD-A players so audio quality is almost as important - In which case the RP-82 wouldn't cut it. I speak as a very happy owner of a Denon 1600, but would take the 3800/9000 over it in a heartbeat. The 1600 has very good redbook CD and DVD-A performance (better than any player I've heard in its price range) thanks to eight 24/192 Burr-Brown PCM 1648 audio DAC's and PASSIVE bass management. However, it's sound quality pales in comparison to the 3800 and 9000's of the world in this area. I await the arrival of the Denon 2900.

Reg

Demas

Agent
Guys, i just found some info regarding the denon
model in S.A, and i am sooooooooooooo upset

Firsly it has no progressive scan output, no dvd-audio and has no component outputs(scart).For all i know it has the Genesis chipset.I can get all the *best* players, Meridian, Krell,Tag etc. but the denon is probably better than these despite the massive price difference.

To make matters worse, the player costs R10000 or approximately $1100 dollars(About the same price as the Arcam dv27 in US), just shows the crappy exchange rate.I asked a dealer how much the Arcam dv27 costs, and its R40000(about $4400, hellish markup),don't ask how much the denon 9000 costs, but i'm thinking of importing a denon 1600 player, but i need to know if there are sites that would do door to door shipping.Can you guys give please some advice as to where i can shop for this player and have international shipping?

Demas

Agent
Reggie wrote

There are many people here who prefer the picture quality of the Silicon Image chips to the Genesis 2200 chips
Yes, you are correct in saying this, but silicon image is not better than faroadja, rather it has better potential picture quality.The denon 1600 implemented this chip and optimised it better than players with the silicon chip, hence the advantage overall.

Demas

Agent
Hmmmm, a Denon 1600 is "Low end". Man I need to find a better job if that is low end equipment
Sorry i never implied that the denon was *lowend* rather the perception of quality being judged over price.$400 seems like a great price, especially compared to models that have *cheapie* chipsets, though i wish i could spend a few weeks in fine America:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks