What's new

Is the Brazil critterion dvd OOP? (1 Viewer)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering since i picked it up(instead of Forrest Gump or Maniac) at Best Buy today & was the last copy they had. I've seen it on the shelves for months & always planned on getting it sometime but never got to since i'm on a budget ect.
Also i've never seen the entire movie before. I tryed watching it when it came on Bravo,but the sound was horrible & barely audile,no matter how loud you turned the tv up,it was still barely a whisper.
So i'm not sure wether i'll like the movie or not,so i finnaly said wtf & give it a shot + pick up the CC version before it's to late. I don't want to waste the opportunity like i had with almost getting a copy of Hard Boiled(& i love that movie!),then it went OOP and the was impossible to find,yet i had so many chances to get it but didn't since we didn't have a dvd player at the time(until christmas) + the price seemed to high.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Brazil is not OOP. This is probably the most comprehensive release of a film that I have ever seen on DVD. The only thing that's unfortunate is the fact that it's not anamorphic. I am very happy to have this set since I like the film. If for some reason you don't like the film, I am sure you could always put it on eBay.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it for $44.
I might like,though wasn't really into it while trying to watch it on tv because of the horribly low sound. So maybe with decent audile sound & a open mind. I may like it....if not i'll just wait til it goes OOP & will be worth alot i'm sure. If i like it,of course i'm keping it no matter what :)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Ahh, Brazil, the wonderful movie that is not very accessible the first few times. The plot is all there, but the message is lost easily because the visual style is so over the top. I was so focused on trying to adapt to the look so the plot flew right over my head.
If you don't like the movie the first time, don't fret, just wait a while and watch it again, if you don't like it still, still don't fret and wait a while again, then watch it and I'm sure you'll like it. At least, that was how it was for me. I attemped to watch the film twice in a couple days, couldn't finish it. Waited about a year, with the movie growing in my mind, and I loved it the third time. I've watched it a few times since and it just gets better and better.
With the extras on the Criterion version, you probably could understand the film faster that way.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Christina,
Isn't that a horrible feeling? You see a Criterion DVD of a movie you've never seen before sitting on the shelf for months - always curious - but never curious enough to buy it. Then bam, it goes out of print, never to be heard from again. I saw "The Killer" for sale every time I went into VideoMart2000 (where I used to rent DVDs), and was at least smart enough to rent it before it became such a rarity. If only I had paid the $40 back then, cause there's no way I'll be paying $300 anytime soon... Oh well, to be honest, while "Brazil" may not grab $300 on eBay these days, it is certainly a better set/movie than "The Killer."
Pieter
------------------
BoomRoom
"You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingist day of your life, even if you had an Electrified Fooling Machine."

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Just finished watching it,though checked out the 2 documentaries first since i have today off & everyones at work ect,so theres nothing else to do & it's not much fun going out alone,lol.
The movie was awsome & think from seeing bits of it on tv in horrible audio on Bravo & decent sound on TNT,that i got used to it after awhile though i could never sit through the whole thing until now.
It was amazing & maybe i'll get more out of it on further veiwings since as stated you get lost in the visual style of the movie.
I'll check out the commentaries another time.
Well worth the $$$. Pick it up ASAP before it's gone or you'll regret it.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
When Brazil first came out, the first thing that stuck to my head was the image of Sam Lowry flying, with those impressive wings, through the labyrinth.
It's no accident that for many, the visual side of Brazil is the first thing you notice, after all Terry Gilliam was an accomplished illustrator even before he was a director. But the beauty of Brazil lies in the fact that its message is well hidden from those who can't see past the visuals.
I was too young to be admitted into the theater when it first came out, but I remember seeing it on TV with the original ending, something I'll never forget. What makes this DVD set a must-buy is how extensive and in-depth it covers the whole 'Battle for Brazil', making it a perfect case-study of commercial value versus artistic value. The commentary alone by Gilliam is worth the price of the set, the man is funny an insightful and doesn't think twice about telling things how they are.
To those complaining about the sound, the movie's original track is in dolby surround only, and I'm glad for that, because it keeps it in tune with the oppressive, Kafka-esque, feeling of the movie. It's meant to sound like that.
All in all a beautiful movie which has to be seen more than once in order to fully appreciate it, or understand it. Heck I started to understand it well after my 5th viewing.
Cheers...
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I bought two copies (one for my brother, rather than as an ebay stunt) last time it appeared to be out of print. I suspect that we are seeing what we saw that time; i.e. Criterion not doing another print run quite as promptly as some would like and rather waiting until there is sufficient demand to actually ship all (or at least most) of that run to distributors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks