What's new

Is TCM in trouble? (1 Viewer)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I just checked TCM, the musical number at the end of Gigi is the same as the 2009 Blu-ray except the BD has 5.1 audio.

Ok. The user who made the statement just confirmed that he had gotten it mixed up with the first That’s Entertainment film, which featured the vocal over the scene in question. So, for now, I think we can rest easy.

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
One ongoing issue seems to be TCM airing prints that aren’t the best or newest remasterings. It may be there’s nothing they can control about it, but you’d think they could search for the best print possible. On Bob Hope day last week, they aired My Favorite Blonde with Madeleine Carroll, which looked really sharp, but My Favorite Brunette with Dorothy Lamour, despite being five years later (1947 v. 1942), looked positively awful. It was almost unwatchable, with a dark and smeared look such that it was occasionally difficult to discern what was even happening onscreen. I think this may be one of those public domain titles where the copyright fell through the cracks, but still it was painful to see this worn out version on display.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They also really need to get some kinda streaming platform/app (or at least just the existing one) readily accessible/available (again) separately (or at least separately subscribable) from cable packages/providers.

Most of us aren't about to go back to being tied to the cord, if we ever were -- I myself (and most of my extended family) never really was for one, and we're definitely not about to consider going that route going forward...

_Man_

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Back in the days when one sent actual letters of complaint to channels and networks to express disappointment, I sent one to TCM complaining about their use of open matte prints or pan and scan prints rather than properly framed versions of classic films. I received a very courteous reply (much more courteous than my complaint letter if I'm being honest) in which they explained that TCM was completely at the mercy of the film distributor. They played what they were sent even if they had requested the properly framed print in their initial request. Their explanation seemed legit; they understood and acknowledged the issue but weren't in a position to do anything about it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
One ongoing issue seems to be TCM airing prints that aren’t the best or newest remasterings. It may be there’s nothing they can control about it

That’s basically it. The days of stations being sent physical film prints (or being allowed to track down their own) are over, for better or worse or maybe a bit of both. They can only air what their licensor sends them. Out in the streaming world, we see plenty of the equivalent happening, that the masters being provided to different services aren’t necessarily the latest or best ones that the studio has on hand.

They also really need to get some kinda streaming platform/app (or at least just the existing one) readily accessible/available (again) separately (or at least separately subscribable) from cable packages/providers.

We’ve talked about this before. Currently, TCM acquires limited license cable rights and are able to provide streaming of those titles to their cable customers.

Licensing the same titles for direct-to-consumer subscription streaming would require a separate license and one that would bear costs which are not insignificant and in many cases may not even be available. Studios aren’t going to want to give those rights to TCM for free because that would preclude them from licensing that material to other subscription services that actually do pay specifically for those rights. TCM would need to rethink its business strategy and spend a significant amount to establish that kind of business.

I think that’s a conversation worth having for them but it’s not like they can just flip a switch overnight and charge $10 to willing customers tomorrow.

We also know from prior disclosures as part of the Warner-Discovery merger that niche streaming services require a lot of resources to operate and don’t bring in a lot of revenue. This is why one of Zaslav’s first moves when he took over was to eliminate the stand-alone CNN subscription streaming service. Warner poured something like hundreds of millions of dollars into it and attracted something like like a thousand paying subscribers. Subscription fatigue is real and the vast majority of customers do not want to subscribe to a large number of individual services. They want a small handful that offer an array of material, which is why Max offers a selection of TCM-curated movies. I don’t know if the number of subscribers a TCM standalone service would attract would come close to covering the costs of running such a service. Warner’s previous ownership didn’t seem to think so and there’s no evidence that the current ownership does either.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
We’ve talked about this before. Currently, TCM acquires limited license cable rights and are able to provide streaming of those titles to their cable customers.

Licensing the same titles for direct-to-consumer subscription streaming would require a separate license and one that would bear costs which are not insignificant and in many cases may not even be available. Studios aren’t going to want to give those rights to TCM for free because that would preclude them from licensing that material to other subscription services that actually do pay specifically for those rights. TCM would need to rethink its business strategy and spend a significant amount to establish that kind of business.

I think that’s a conversation worth having for them but it’s not like they can just flip a switch overnight and charge $10 to willing customers tomorrow.

We also know from prior disclosures as part of the Warner-Discovery merger that niche streaming services require a lot of resources to operate and don’t bring in a lot of revenue. This is why one of Zaslav’s first moves when he took over was to eliminate the stand-alone CNN subscription streaming service. Warner poured something like hundreds of millions of dollars into it and attracted something like like a thousand paying subscribers. Subscription fatigue is real and the vast majority of customers do not want to subscribe to a large number of individual services. They want a small handful that offer an array of material, which is why Max offers a selection of TCM-curated movies. I don’t know if the number of subscribers a TCM standalone service would attract would come close to covering the costs of running such a service. Warner’s previous ownership didn’t seem to think so and there’s no evidence that the current ownership does either.

In that case, since they do already have a modest TCM section on (HBO) Max, why not build that out some more and/or add some more of the TCM features to that section (at least what they're already putting on the existing app I guess)?

I don't mean adding movies that they may not already get/have the rights to put on Max's TCM section... Seems like that could be a good way to go, especially since they certainly still want Max to succeed of course...

Of course, maybe they're actually already currently considering doing something like that, especially after this recent debacle...

_Man_

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Tonight I watched 2 films on the TCM app.
CABIN IN THE SKY….It is absolutely the new restoration used for the upcoming Blu Ray.
I also watched MY SISTER EILEEN 1955. It was released on Blu-ray by Twilight . Time. What TCM showed was a brand new transfer. It looks beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks