What's new

Is taking Coors Beer east of Texas still bootlegging? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
According to the coors website:
Until prohibition, Coors beer was distributed in just a few isolated markets, including Denver, San Francisco, Wyoming and New Mexico. In the six years following repeal, Coors expanded its market to include 10 Western states.
Coors transition from a regional to international brewer began in the 1970s when the company began expanding to new markets. Until then, Coors produced only one beer, Original Coors, for distribution in just 11 Western states.
Coors limited distribution left consumers in the eastern United States clamoring for a taste of the Rocky Mountains' finest beer, and many of them went to great lengths to experience what became the "the Coors mystique."
-Former President Ford was known to return from Colorado with several cases of Original Coors on Air Force One.
-The movie "Smokey and the Bandit" starring Burt Reynolds and Sally Field debuted featuring Reynolds bootlegging Original Coors across the Mississippi River.
1981 Coors distribution crossed the Mssissippi River.
1991 Coors products are available in all 50 states.
http://www.beernotes.com/rockymtn/articles/000324.html
So it looks like it was simply a case of Coors not being authorized to sell Beer outside of a few Western States. This ended in 1981, and looks like they are now approved for all 50.
All this, and I don't even drink alcohol (maybe that's why I was the only one able to find the info, LOL).
-Vince

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Vince for the info!!! But I have to admit, that is more info about Coors beer that I really need to know.

But here is an interesting question...if they were to remake Smokey and the Bandit, what illegal product would they use to bootleg? Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Coors sucks.
In Ohio, I think technically you can't bring more than a liter or so of alcholic beverage in from out of state. Yet, of course, there are a bunch of affordable liquor stores right across the river (Kentucky) from Cincinnati...their taxes are lower.
Ohio liquor agents used to sit in the parking lots of said liquor stores, watch to see if you bought a lot of alcohol, and pull you over after you crossed back over. Then they passed a law down there banning out of state agents from loitering in their parking lots. :)

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit
I always thought the Coors commercials with Pete Coors "Somewhere near Golden, CO" were just hilarious. It was like he was wandering around the countryside completely lost. Did they ever find him?

E

Eric Kahn

Michael

Under Ohio law, you can not bring beer from KY to OH, just wine and liquer, 1 liter only, don't ask me why, just the stupid rules, not that anyone bothers to obey them

and don't look for the State minimum price to go away anytime soon, the distributers will fight it tooth and nail, they are the ones reaping the benifits (profit) of state minimum pricing, the state actualy gets next to nothing on the HUGE markup this causes

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
what illegal product would they use to bootleg?
It's not so much "illegal" as "unavailable"/"hard to get".
Look at Krispy Kreem doughnuts - they build up a "desire" for them and when a franchise opens, people line up for blocks. They are not that good, we have local stores that make better, but when I take the time to drive 20 minutes away and bring back several dozen, even the people on diets partake because of the rarity of them.
A popular fund-raiser here in California is to import a few thousand White Castle burgers. Since these burger joints are popular in the East, they attain mystic / cult following here in the west.
And dont get me started on Beannie Babies... :)
PS: Coors does not pasturize it's beer because that would make it cost more. The just filter it (and advertize that their "cold-filter" process helps the taste). Thats why it has to stay cold and may have led to the thought that you could not transport it without refrigeration.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
For a regular glazed donut, I have found nothing better than the melt-in-your mouth goodness of a fresh, hot,regular Krispy Kreme.
All their other donuts are terrible.
I usually go with a local place because custard donuts are my favorites. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks