What's new

Is Stroheim's GREED coming in 2003? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB has hinted at visiting "heyday" titles and they're releasing 13 silent Charlie Chaplin films (licensed by MK2) in 2003.

My best guess is that if the Chaplin DVDs sell well, WB will do more silents such as Greed.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Patrick
I thought WB were releasing 18 Chaplin titles, does this mean 13 will be silent and the other 5 speaking films.
Do you know anything about Wings
cheers
:emoji_thumbsup:

Anyone know why TCM did such an extensive restoration of Greed a couple of years ago (bringing it back to about 4 hours with the use of stills) and then only broadcast it twice? I menat to tape it, but failed to do so and have been waiting for it to be rebroadcast or even better released on DVD. I'm still lost as why we haven't heard more about this title.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yes, only 13 of the 18 are silent. The other 5 are The Great Dictator, Mons. Verdoux, Limelight, A King In New York, and The Chaplin Revue (which uses silents, but has music and narration, I think)

TCM has shown Greed a few other times...but it's not easy to fit a 4-hour film into a normal schedule. TCM tends to keep a nicely rotated schedule (rather than overplaying stuff like AMC does) with fresher titles. Even the stuff they play a lot (The Unknown has gotten a lot of airplay recently) is at least stuff worth watching mutiple times.

I don't know anything about Wings besides some at Paramount being interested in a DVD. It's likely even if they want to make a Wings DVD, they still got scheduling problems such as marketing a silent film. Except for Columbia's The Matinee Idol, major studio silents have pretty much been MIA on DVD. However, when the time comes, I'm sure Paramount could do a great job given the quality of their B&W DVD transfers.

(BTW...in my signature pic, you can see Buddy Rogers, Clara Bow, and Gary Cooper in a still from Wings.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks