What's new

Is Smirnoff Ice considered a woman's drink? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting how it's determined that something is a "woman's product". I recall reading somewhere that that icon of tough, he-man cowboy cigarettes, Marlboro, was once advertised as a "woman's cigarette". :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Well I must say that I drank Everclear all through high school....I can't imagine what I was thinking.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Actually it is BEER. Read the label it says flavored beer. Ice, Bacardi Silver, Skyy, Zima and wine coolers are flavored beers, read the lables.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Is it 5.4% over there too? I only ask because someone once told me that beers are often about 2% in certain US states...
Domestic beers(Budweiser and such) are 3.2%. You have to go to the liquor store to get any 6 pt beer and that is always import stuff.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Fifth

"Fifth-of-a-gallon

equivalent to 1.6 US pints, or about 26 (25.4 or 25.6) US flluid ounces. Just under 1.3 British pints or 750ml.

Amstel Light

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
It must depend where you're drinking it. Outside of the US it is VODKA. In the US is it a malt veberage (hic!), and it's 7% alcohol content, just like the beer up here, unlike (as the Bruces say) American beer, which is like making love in a canoe - it's f***ing close to water! :D
Not much different than Mike's Hard Lemonade up here.

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
A girl drink is basically anything that a "casual" drinker orders and is usually all fruitied up and sweetened so to lessen the taste of alcohol. Personally I don't care what people drink, but I stay away from sugary stuff because it can cause a bad hangover if you drink too much. Smirnoff Ice defnitely fits the girl drink stigma because I can barely taste the alcohol! I think there should be some alcohol taste to everything alcoholic so that people don't start slamming down drinks and not realize how wasted they are.
Also I'm sure Smirnoff Ice is 7% here in Canada (but remember we measure alcohol differently which is why our beer only sounds stronger) and I always thought they put vodka in it, but maybe i'm mistaken. A fifth is 1/5 of a gallon which i'm guessing works out to 750 ml since it's the closest quantity that's sold.
Lastly, if you aren't a heavy drinker can drink a fifth of anything and appear sober, you're either bullshitting or you weigh about 300 lbs.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I weigh about 300 pounds. And no I'm not bullshitting. Plus the fact alcoholism runs in my family, and when I drink, I drink alot.

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
As far as "girly" drinks, on occasion I'll have a Mike's hard lemonade. Tasty stuff. But as a few others have implied, with anything that sugary you can only down a few before you're, well, pumped full of sugar and don't want any more.

I usually stick to beer and vodka.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I'm intrigued that Smirnoff Ice isn't made with Vodka in the U.S. because Smirnoff is, well, vodka!! :D
Life is strange.
And 750mls????? Jeez. I once made it through 400mls of Southern Comfort but boy was I buggered!! ;)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Plus the fact alcoholism runs in my family, and when I drink, I drink alot.
If alchoholism runs in your family then you should stay far away from the bottle.
US Beer:
Only some states have the law that requires you to buy beer with more than 3.2% alchohol in a liquor store. CA does not and I can buy both domestic and import beers with more than 3.2% alchohol in the store. Yes, domestic too. Those jokes about American beer may hit the mark for the mega-brews (Coors, Bud, Miller) but they totally miss the mark on real American beer, like Sierra Nevada, Anchor, Deschutes Brewery, etc. These smaller breweries turn out fine beer.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
okay, I found it. The definition of beer (in texas at least) is considered a beer if it is a malt beverage with 0.5%-4.5% alcohol content. The Smirnoff Ice would not contain vodka as that would make it a mixed beverage. From what I understand they only use the Smirnoff logo (as does the Bacardi Silver and Skyy logo's) as marketing ploys.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
And the reason for that, Oscar, is so it can be sold in places that are only allowed to sell 'malt beverages' & not hard liquor.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I'll usually try any type of alcoholic drink once to see if I like the taste. I always seem to go back to Guinness. But the other day I bought a bottle of Jose Cuervo Margarita's already mixed. Just pour it over ice and drink it down. It was pretty good. The bottle was gone in two days. tastey!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
When I was living in BC, I used to be a whiskey and beer fiend. But not anymore...had too much one night, now I can't handle it. :frowning:
I don't mind the "women's drinks", but I learned early that drinking more than 2 of the fruity drinks (except wine, because they don't have so much citrus) gives me a case of bad heartburn. I'd rather be drunk, dammit!
One of the advantages of being a woman is that you can get free drinks at the bar from strangers. Definitely a good way to stay on budget. :)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I personally regard Smirnoff Ice as a woman's drink, but many of my friends, both male and female, disagree.

Regarding how Smirnoff Ice tastes, although I've never tasted urine, I'm sure it must taste something like Smirnoff Ice! I tried this "malt liquor" once, and it made me sick! On the other hand, I love the original Zima, while most of my friends hate it and regard it as a woman's drink, so perhaps I'm not the authority on women's drinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks