1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Smirnoff Ice considered a woman's drink?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Apr 15, 2002.

1. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

It's interesting how it's determined that something is a "woman's product". I recall reading somewhere that that icon of tough, he-man cowboy cigarettes, Marlboro, was once advertised as a "woman's cigarette". [​IMG]

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well I must say that I drank Everclear all through high school....I can't imagine what I was thinking.

3. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

Oscar
    Actually it is BEER. Read the label it says flavored beer. Ice, Bacardi Silver, Skyy, Zima and wine coolers are flavored beers, read the lables.

4. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Right, but Samuel Adams' are the REAL flavored beer.

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Deleted, because I don't know what I'm talking about. [​IMG]

8. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

9. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Fifth

"Fifth-of-a-gallon

equivalent to 1.6 US pints, or about 26 (25.4 or 25.6) US flluid ounces. Just under 1.3 British pints or 750ml.

Amstel Light

10. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

It must depend where you're drinking it. Outside of the US it is VODKA. In the US is it a malt veberage (hic!), and it's 7% alcohol content, just like the beer up here, unlike (as the Bruces say) American beer, which is like making love in a canoe - it's f***ing close to water! [​IMG]
    Not much different than Mike's Hard Lemonade up here.

11. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

A girl drink is basically anything that a "casual" drinker orders and is usually all fruitied up and sweetened so to lessen the taste of alcohol. Personally I don't care what people drink, but I stay away from sugary stuff because it can cause a bad hangover if you drink too much. Smirnoff Ice defnitely fits the girl drink stigma because I can barely taste the alcohol! I think there should be some alcohol taste to everything alcoholic so that people don't start slamming down drinks and not realize how wasted they are.
    Also I'm sure Smirnoff Ice is 7% here in Canada (but remember we measure alcohol differently which is why our beer only sounds stronger) and I always thought they put vodka in it, but maybe i'm mistaken. A fifth is 1/5 of a gallon which i'm guessing works out to 750 ml since it's the closest quantity that's sold.
    Lastly, if you aren't a heavy drinker can drink a fifth of anything and appear sober, you're either bullshitting or you weigh about 300 lbs.

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I weigh about 300 pounds. And no I'm not bullshitting. Plus the fact alcoholism runs in my family, and when I drink, I drink alot.

13. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

As far as "girly" drinks, on occasion I'll have a Mike's hard lemonade. Tasty stuff. But as a few others have implied, with anything that sugary you can only down a few before you're, well, pumped full of sugar and don't want any more.

I usually stick to beer and vodka.

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'm intrigued that Smirnoff Ice isn't made with Vodka in the U.S. because Smirnoff is, well, vodka!! [​IMG]
    Life is strange.
    And 750mls????? Jeez. I once made it through 400mls of Southern Comfort but boy was I buggered!! [​IMG]

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

16. Oscar W

Oscar W Stunt Coordinator

Oscar
    okay, I found it. The definition of beer (in texas at least) is considered a beer if it is a malt beverage with 0.5%-4.5% alcohol content. The Smirnoff Ice would not contain vodka as that would make it a mixed beverage. From what I understand they only use the Smirnoff logo (as does the Bacardi Silver and Skyy logo's) as marketing ploys.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And the reason for that, Oscar, is so it can be sold in places that are only allowed to sell 'malt beverages' & not hard liquor.

18. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I'll usually try any type of alcoholic drink once to see if I like the taste. I always seem to go back to Guinness. But the other day I bought a bottle of Jose Cuervo Margarita's already mixed. Just pour it over ice and drink it down. It was pretty good. The bottle was gone in two days. tastey!

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

When I was living in BC, I used to be a whiskey and beer fiend. But not anymore...had too much one night, now I can't handle it. [​IMG]
    I don't mind the "women's drinks", but I learned early that drinking more than 2 of the fruity drinks (except wine, because they don't have so much citrus) gives me a case of bad heartburn. I'd rather be drunk, dammit!
    One of the advantages of being a woman is that you can get free drinks at the bar from strangers. Definitely a good way to stay on budget. [​IMG]

20. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I personally regard Smirnoff Ice as a woman's drink, but many of my friends, both male and female, disagree.

Regarding how Smirnoff Ice tastes, although I've never tasted urine, I'm sure it must taste something like Smirnoff Ice! I tried this "malt liquor" once, and it made me sick! On the other hand, I love the original Zima, while most of my friends hate it and regard it as a woman's drink, so perhaps I'm not the authority on women's drinks.