What's new

Is my SD6200 worthless? (1 Viewer)

I've been out of the loop for a while regarding HT. I'm looking at the prices of progressive players and I'm shocked. I just got a flyer from Onecall with an ad for a Tosh 3750 for $179. I paid almost $800 less than a year ago for my SD6200. I knew it would drop quickly at the time that I bought it, but this is rediculous. Why would anybody buy my 6200 when they can get a new player for next to nothing? Sheesh.

Am I missing something?

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Dominic,
Don't listen to the two previous posters. :angry: I still have a SD-6200 and I'm totally satisfied with it's performance and you should be too.
I have a Mitsubishi 55" HD RPTV and the image quality from the DVD player is still very excellent in comparison to other (newer) progressive players. The main complaint from most was the 'chroma bug', but my set has been ISFd and it's not a real problem on over 98% of movies I watch.
There are few players out now that offer the performance and convenience features of the SD-6200;
  • Dual-tray
  • "Progressive on the fly" - Not hard switched from the back of the DVD player (like a majority of the newer models)
  • Proper aspect control of 4:3 movies
  • HDCD decoding
  • CD-R, CD-RW playback
  • Parallel video output
  • Passes pluge
  • 10-bit 54MHz Video D/A Conversion
All of the reviews of the 6200 have been nothing but positive.
Highlights from the Secrets DVD benchmark shootout;
Still, it was clearly visible throughout "Toy Story". The problem will be visible on any film that has saturated red colors, but you might not see it if you don’t look for it.
Anyway, like I said before we have very good progressive scan DVD players that offers a great picture and excellent features. At the rate that technology changes, it would be silly to think that your purchase is worthless because some new-fangled component offers just a 'very' small increase in overall performance. Every player has it's nuances and none of them are perfect.
Be happy with what you have.
Troy
Faithful SD6200 owner

Luis A

Second Unit
The SD-6200 is also durable. I bought this unit and my kids use it in thier room (a 7 and 5 yr. old) so with all the abuse it has taken over the last year I know its built to last.)
L

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Rajee,
He is asking for advice. Not for a dictator telling him other opinions are wrong.
Doh, I do think that 'advice' is exactly what I was giving him! Funny how with a single phrase like "Don't listen to the two previous posters.", all of a sudden I'm a "DICTATOR". No, you give me a break.
You expressed your opinion just the same as I expressed my opinion. And absolutely no where did I exclaim that my opinion was the only correct one. Just because I chose to put a positive spin on the circumstance doesn't make me wrong.
If I were to try to read into your message too much like you did mine, then I would assume that you were trying to say that Dominic did indeed make a wrong decision on his $800 purchase and he needs to upgrade right away. He doesn't need that, nor I and neither does the forum.
Now, had you mentioned some positives of the SD6200 before, maybe my post wouldn't have been so strong. We don't know what his setup is or his preference for watching 4:3 or non-anamorphic material so your point #2 may not hold any weight with him. I supplied both positives and negatives.
Anyway, let's not play 'jump-on-the-boat-of-every-new-player' game. We are all here to educate and hopefully we do this in as much of a positive manner as possible.
My $.02.
Troy
Ex-DICTATOR

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I upgraded from a Toshiba 6200 to a Panasonic RP-91, too. I ended up keeping the Toshiba as a backup, since I felt the player was worth more to me than I could sell it for (I don't do ebay). I prefer to Panasonic's picture quality and scaling features over the Toshiba. Also, the 6200 had problems playing a few discs that I own -- the RP-91 has played all discs flawlessly.

The Toshiba's ability to change between interlaced and progressive output via the remote control is a non-issue for me. I have only one disc in my 500+ collection that has required me to play in interlaced mode (and I have yet to try it on the Panasonic, so it may play fine on it). The dual tray was a minor convenience -- I rarely used the second tray anyway.

If you can sell the player for $300, it may be worth it to sell yours for an upgrade. I figured I would get less than $200 for mine, so I kept the player in case my Panasonic malfunctions. I could put it in our bedroom, but I have my original Sony DVP-300 in there, and that player has been wonderful for over three years.

Well, I really just wanted to know if it was true that my 6200 has lost most of its value and it seems that it has. I agree with scott in that it's worth more to me than it is on the used market so I'll just keep it and buy something else when the bug hits.

I do see the chroma bug, but from what I read, most players have that problem anyway.

As for switching between interlaced and progressive, I just leave it on progressive all the time so it's a non-issue for me. I have a Panny CT32hx40 that handles all modes.

I'm not sure if I'm more mad at Toshiba for selling the things last year at such an inflated price, or at me for buying it. Dropping 30% or so in a few months is one thing, but going from $800 to $200 is something else. Never again.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Dominic,

I agree with you that Toshiba tried to capitalize on their progressive scan capability, but the SD6200 still produces a stunning picture. How many times can you watch Toy Story 2 anyway? Chroma is a very minor issue with this player if at all.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks