Is Lang's Nibelungen coming to the PAL region?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Frederic_A, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

The irony of the international market: North America gets a great release of Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen, with the help of the Berlin Film Museum, no less, and in Germany, they release the campy 1960s remake, almost simultaneously. I'd be surprised if the Lang film doesn't get the same treatment as Metropolis, which has had a decent German release by all accounts, but so far, I haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone know whether the new edition of Lang's film will be released in PAL in the near future?

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Well, you can tell anyone that wants to see it that the current Kino release is region 0 encoded. As most (modern) TV's in Europe can display an NTSC-signal, I think there shouldn't be any troubles for most European people that need to get this.

And I'd call the Kino release "good" but not "great". There are just too many little audio defects in the soundtrack...

Also, The Laser Examiner reports that:

3. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mark, that is interesting information. Maybe the newly discovered elements are responsible for the delay in Germany. What kind of audio defects, by the way?

When it comes to silent film, I think PAL wins out over NTSC hands down. The frame rate is unconventional anyway, and usually below 24 fps. Also, because the film is silent, there is no need to worry about PAL speedup, whereas the higher resolution makes it the better choice for a 4:3 picture. I don't know about you, but I get visible scan lines whenever viewing a non-anamorphic picture in NTSC (I have a conventional, that is non-progressive TV set). Lastly, I don't know about the Kino release, but many German silent films have the intertitles replaced in American DVD releases, so I generally look for the German version.

Here's hoping!

4. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

When the German DVD of Metropolis was announced in Germany in February it was said that these films would also be released by the same company:

Die Nibelungen
    Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari
    Nosferatu

No release dates were given but they are coming.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter