What's new

Is it ok to paint stucco? (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
We recently bought a 1937 English Tudor style house but the existing white paint is stained in some plces and chauky in others.

I've heard different thoughts that you shouldn't paint stucco because stucco has to "breathe"...and if you paint and block the pores it can build up moisture and we know the rest...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Just a thought, but how does stucco get color if you don't paint it? My house, back wall, built-in outdoor BBQ/bar are all painted stucco and its still standing. If not, my house and every other stucco house would be brown. They now make stucco that comes premixed with color that makes it a lot easier, so if it really worries you, just use some of that stuff.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, I mentioned that at the end of my post, but in the old days they didn't do it that way, don't ask me why, they just didn't. Either way, thanks for taking the time to answer my question :D

Gavin_L

Second Unit
just one bet of advice just make sure the surface is clean before u paint the stucco.

but anyways found this article on on painting stucco
here's the link, gives some tips and so fourth

http://www.onthehouse.com/wp/20020819

worked on a house last summer, which the stucco was painted, we mostly painted the trim on that job, but also had to repaint a few stucco spots that needed touch up. But anyways yes the stucco was painted.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There's special paint for stucco. If I'm not mistaken, it's on a water and latex basis. It will allow it to "breathe".

It can also be painted with a paint that changes the surface structure, covering it with a more smooth layer. In my langage there's a word for it ("saucing" the stucco), but I really don't know how it translates to (American) English.

Cees

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
In my college days, I helped my father paint several apartment buildings with stucco exteriors. Yes, stucco can be painted and we used regular water-based latex exterior paint. We used rollers to do the job, but looking back, using a sprayer would be better and less time-consuming. Because of the texture in stucco, sometimes you will need to go back and get spots you miss during the first coat. That's why a sprayer is faster and easier. Also, since a lot of my painting involves standing on a ladder 20-30 feet off the ground, a sprayer is definitely more convenient. One of those Wagner sprayers will be more than enough to get the job done.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Danny, a sprayer would be a MUCH better way than a roller huh. I remember painting stucco when I worked for my friend's dad and a roller took some time, you have to put it on thick and roll in every direction; wish I had a sprayer back than.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Jeremiah,

You are exactly right about putting the paint on thick, then working it into every little spot. And you will always miss some spot, therefore going back over it again. A sprayer would be much MUCH easier way to paint stucco, especially when you are on a ladder.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Jeremiah,

While it is possible to use a roller and be on a ladder at the same time, I agree it's a MAJOR pain in the ass. Dragging a 5-gallon bucket (even just a quarter filled with paint) up a ladder is insane. That's why I recommend one of those Wagner self-contain sprayers for big jobs.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
semi-related question if you don't mind...

any of you guys have experience *cleaning* stucco? specifically removing mildew and/or mold?

the rear of the house i just bought never gets any sun, so there's some mild mildew/mold going on. the inspector said it's no biggie and some bleach will take care of it.

but i just thought i'd ask for your opinions on this before i start? i was thinking of just mixing a bleach & water solution (not sure what ratio would be good) then rolling it on with a thick nap roller? i also wonder what the bleach solution will do to the stucco/paint?

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Ted, I am going to stop by my buddys shop at lunch and if he or his dad are there I will ask them.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Everybody was gone when I went by but I am going to stop by after work. I go there all the time so I should find out soon enough.

I remember them talking about moldy stucco about a year ago just can't think of what they said.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
hey ted

got a few idea just from past experience and so on...

I've cleaned a house that had stucco which was painted. we have a industrial powerwasher that we used to clean the house with from work, that worked pretty well, the powerwashing allows u to suck up the bleach and simple green through a 5 gal bucket. But anyways on that job used some bleech and simple green with water in 5 gal bucket, cleaned the place up pretty good, I guess if u don't have a powerwasher to clean it, the next best thing would would be a scrub brush like this, with a nice roller pole or something that would connect to the brush, http://www.contractors-hardware.net/...ine-Brush.html
In which u can get the bleach and simple green on and scrub some of the mildew off. Whats a good thing to do is let the bleach and cleaning solution sit on the house for a few mins, so it actually has time to work, and then clean it off.

not sure for stucco, but for example cleaning a regular house paint job, its kind of like washing a car, cleaning the house, helps keeps your paint job stay nice and clean so it doesn't detoriate, and therefor last longer in the long run. so anyways I guess the same would be for stucco.

after cleaning the house, u might still have to do a lil touchup just from cleaning the house, cause of rare ware and tear through the years , but thats sometimes part of the fun....

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey gavin -

thx for the tip. i think you're right about using a scrub brush like the one you showed. i think that would definitely be more effective then a paint roller. heh!

by any chance, do you recall what kind of ratio of simple green to water you used?

also, great link for onthehouse.com - i found quite a bit of useful info there too! i've already bookmarked it!

ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks