What's new

Is it OK to mix speaker cble brands? (1 Viewer)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I am currently running Monster 12ga equal length but have to reorganize everything since I bought my 61" tv. I will be placing my reciever more to one side which means I need to make one of my speaker cables longer. So if I buy some 12ga from Home Depot or some of those Sound King wires etc. should I worry about one side having a different sound than the other? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I honestly think you won''t hear a difference but I'd say you're better off being safe and using the same brand wire.

However, if you asked whether it was ok to use different cables (or interconnects). For that question I'd say it's perfectly fine and sometimes recommended to use different brand interconnects. Reason is because one brand cable might have a certain sonic signature to it which only gets strengthened when used multiple times in the signal path.

By having different brand cables each with their own different effect on music, then I believe the music won't have as strong of a coloration.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,
Aha.. But that's "Assuming" that cables have an effect on
the sound at all... But we're not going there are we... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks