What's new

is DDR Ram backwards compatible? (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Please forgive me if this has been answered before. I did a search and did not come up with anything.

So, I have an older 1G PIII computer with 256m ram. I have a friend who just got him self new DDR ram for his newer computer and is selling his old ram (2x256 sticks) for a very good price.
I was wondering if this ram will even work on my older computer and if it does, will I see any improvement? Hell, I don't even know if the DDR sticks will fit.
I figure that going from 256m to 512m would be a good improvement even if I'm not using the DDR aspect of it.

Any thoughts?
I plan on buying a new computer next year so I can always add these RAM sticks to the new comp (assuming there are enough slots) when I get that.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I'm pretty positive that your machine uses SD ram which means that it can not use your friends DDR ram. And your thoughts are right, the DDR sticks shouldn't even fit into the ram slots on your motherboard.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Rob's right. It won't fit. Also, when you buy your new computer it will likely have DDR2 RAM in it, so your friend's RAM wouldn't work in it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks