What's new

Is a wireless xbox wifi device coming soon? (1 Viewer)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
THe only possible problem with wifi is more latency than with a wired connection - the size/speed isn't an issue, since most of your DSL connections are a whole lot less than 11mps. For gaming, it's latecy is the big problem.

That said, it should be ok if you have a good strong connection. However, I'm still probably going to go through the trouble of wiring mine w/ Cat 5...

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Is there a way to get that ethernet on the Xbox to use the wireless capability on my existing router? If not, then I'll be running cat5 like Dave downstairs to enjoy Xbox live.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Is there a way to get that ethernet on the Xbox to use the wireless capability on my existing router?
You'll have to do what mike suggests - go buy a bridge which will connect to your current wifi router. YOur xbox will plug into that, which will be transparent to your xbox, and then will connect to your current wireless router. Think of it as a 'wireless card' for your xbox - except that it's completely external and that you hook it up via your ethernet port on your xbox.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i heard that the wireless devices are very "picky" when near other electronic devices. meaning, if you put a wireless router in your HT rack, more than likely it wont work.

anyone have any experience with these wireless devices in a heavily electronic area?

thanks!

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
My access point is sitting within four feet of:
Palm cradle
Directv STB
XM radio
DSL modem
Computer/Monitor
XBox
DVD player
Receiver

and a few other miscellaneous electronic do-dads. I don't have any trouble with my wireless connections all the way across the house. Of course, mine isn't in a rack, but is instead sitting out on a desk, so your mileage may vary...

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
i heard that the wireless devices are very "picky" when near other electronic devices.
Not unless your other electronic devices put out signals in the 2.4 ghz range. I know phones and microwave ovens do, but I also know a bunch of folks that have those phones and microwaves and run wireless just fine.

William C

Auditioning
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone. I'm using a Linksys Etherfast Wireless Access Point - Cable/DSL router w/ 4-port Switch (BEFW1154 v.2), that should suffice, right?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
You've got the access point, now you need the bridge to plug your xbox into to give it its wireless ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks