What's new

Is 8.5' far enough for a 53" TV? (1 Viewer)

Tim_B

Agent
Ok, I was all set to get the Panny 53wx42 when someone said that 8.5' is too close to sit for this size tv on NTSC material. For HD/DVD it would be fine. However as the majority of my viewing will be Digital Cable I am concerned. I may consider the 47" or even the Tosh 50h82, now. However, people generally recommend getting bigger when in doubt...

Any insight?

Thanks

Michael Silla

Second Unit
You ought to be fine at that distance. I sit 9.5 feet away from a 53 and honestly wish I had a bigger set. I have regular cable and it looks fine.

Michael.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Don't sweat it. You *may* see a slightly grainier picture on cable/satellite (I doubt it), but DVD's and HiDef will look great at that distance. I sit 13' from my 65" mits and love it! I originally bought a 55" Mits because I was afraid the 65" would be too big at 13', but after 30 days the 55" seemed to "shrink" in my room so much that my wife and I decided to swap it for the larger one. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
All I can say is, go BIG young man!
Try out this link , it should help ease the decision making a bit. :)
Good luck!
Pete

Tim_B

Agent
Ok based upon the math, using 3.3 x height for HD and 5 x height for Cable, the perfect distances for the TV would be

HD/DVD = 7.5 ft

NTSC = 10.8 ft.

With the Tosh 50h82, the distances would be

HD/DVD = 6.7 ft
NTSC = 10.2

With the 47" panny, the distances would be

HD/DVD 6.3 ft.
NTSC = 9.6 ft.

I guess at 8.5 I would be allright. We are only talking about 8" or 6" difference between the top two tv's in terms of the optimal distance (and 4" and 6" between the Tosh and 47" panny). I just hope my girlfriend doesn't kill me as she gets motion sickness!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks