IR to RF, DirecTV, PVR, Cable length

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by BenSC, Oct 16, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

So this is what I like to call a "multipart" question. Currently, I have DirecTV, and two receivers. One in the theater, one in the living room. I'm adding a PVR (MythTV, a lot like Tivo) soon so this is why I'm tailing this out. Here is what I "would" have:

1)
    Satellite dish has 2 coax lines, one to each Sat receiver. Living room Sat receiver goes out to PVR
    PVR goes out to TV, Audio Receiver
    Theater Sat receiver goes out to projector, Audio Receiver

Here is what I'm considering:

2)
    Satellite dish has 2 coax lines, one to each Sat receiver.
    BOTH Sat receivers are in the living room.
    BOTH go to two inputs on the PVR
    PVR output 1 goes out to TV, Audio Receiver
    PVR output 2 goes under house, into Theater to Projector, Audio Receiver

Why would I do this? Because doing #2 would give me two tuners for the PVR, allowing me to record one channel and watch another. It would also allow me to use the PVRs abilities in the theater.

My questions:

1) How far can an optical cable (or RCAs, haven't decided if I care about DD for Sat yet) and an S-Video (or VGA, if thats better) cable travel? Are there repeaters of any kind? The theater is about 50 feet away, so will probably need approx 75-100 ft.

2) What is the best way to control the PVR from the movie room? IR to RFs and back to IR? IR Repeaters?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ben,

3. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! My girlfriend actually had a wonderful idea, which was to keep all the equipment in the theater room and run the long lines to the 32" in the living room. Also, do you know of any good IR/RF brands to look for, or places to shop?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert