What's new

IR to RF, DirecTV, PVR, Cable length (1 Viewer)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
So this is what I like to call a "multipart" question. Currently, I have DirecTV, and two receivers. One in the theater, one in the living room. I'm adding a PVR (MythTV, a lot like Tivo) soon so this is why I'm tailing this out. Here is what I "would" have:

1)
Satellite dish has 2 coax lines, one to each Sat receiver. Living room Sat receiver goes out to PVR
PVR goes out to TV, Audio Receiver
Theater Sat receiver goes out to projector, Audio Receiver

Here is what I'm considering:

2)
Satellite dish has 2 coax lines, one to each Sat receiver.
BOTH Sat receivers are in the living room.
BOTH go to two inputs on the PVR
PVR output 1 goes out to TV, Audio Receiver
PVR output 2 goes under house, into Theater to Projector, Audio Receiver

Why would I do this? Because doing #2 would give me two tuners for the PVR, allowing me to record one channel and watch another. It would also allow me to use the PVRs abilities in the theater.

My questions:

1) How far can an optical cable (or RCAs, haven't decided if I care about DD for Sat yet) and an S-Video (or VGA, if thats better) cable travel? Are there repeaters of any kind? The theater is about 50 feet away, so will probably need approx 75-100 ft.

2) What is the best way to control the PVR from the movie room? IR to RFs and back to IR? IR Repeaters?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ben,
What is the best way to control the PVR from the movie room? IR to RFs and back to IR? IR Repeaters?
IR/RF/IR. It’s best for between-rooms or out of line-of-sight, IMO. IR repeaters are best in the same room, when the gear is in an enclosed cabinet or behind a wall or door.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! My girlfriend actually had a wonderful idea, which was to keep all the equipment in the theater room and run the long lines to the 32" in the living room. Also, do you know of any good IR/RF brands to look for, or places to shop?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
keep all the equipment in the theater room and run the long lines to the 32" in the living room
I'm in the process of doing just that. I'll have direct connections to the projector (when I finally get one) and the TV in the living room. My Mitsu in the LR has an IR output and I'm going to try to extend that to the theater room. In other rooms I'm using a Sony MRD-D1 channel modulator to send video/audio. It has the added benefit of relaying IR back through the coax. Orbitsat may still have some Sony's but if you can't find them, the Channel Plus 3025 is almost the exact same thing. It costs more and you will have to buy an IR target and emmitter separately.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks