What's new

Interesting Site: History of U.S. Television (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Interesting but like most timelines I've seen they leave a few things out. If they're going to mention DV tape and DVD, they should have also mentioned the first VCRs (which included a black-and-white open-reel system in 1965 and Cartrivision in 1972), as well as laserdisc and CED and the introduction of stereo TV broadcasting. Someday I'll do my own....

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Jesse - Good points, but this timeline is primarily from an industry standpoint. In that case, the DO mention the very first introduction of videotape, just not the first consumer machine.
Incidentally, if you really want to geek out, there's a great site on early videotape you should check out:
Quadruplex Park
It has fantastic coverage of early videotape formats and brings back a few memories. (Though I never "cut" Quad, I do remember cutting my teeth on a VPR-1. BTW - a still-working VPR-1 went at auction in Boston for a whopping $50 last week. If I had know, I would have picked it up at that price for old times sake. Would have been a fun collector's item.)
-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks