What's new

Infogrames changing their name to Atari (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what I think about that. I mean, sure, I love all things Atari and will be glad to see the name out there more (as well as never having to try and pronouce "Infogrames" again), but when I think of "Atari", I think of a certain type of game, and it just sort of seems wrong to me to see games from Atari that feel like games from everyone else.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I agree, I think that's kinda dumb. Imagine if Kia bought Chrysler and changed their name to Chrysler. In the end I'm more interested in how this company is similar to Atari rather than just using their name for prestige and game sales. I imagine them making a new Pacman game where you can press a button to retreat to the previous level if things get difficult.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Pac-Man would be Namco(*), but, yeah, what's Atari mean now? I think of "Atari", I think of quirky, abstract games that are easy to learn with accelerating difficulty (preferably played with a trackball or paddle). At least when Hasbro owned the Atari name, that's the kind of game they released under the brand.

Strangely enough, a year or so ago a new version of "Combat" was released under the Infogrames name rather than the Atari one. I guess I understood the reasoning - trying to establish Atari as a viable, active brand rather than just something for nostalgia.

(*) Of coure, if Namco and Sega wind up merging and also take the Sega name as has been rumored, Pac-Man will be a Sega character. How weird would that be?

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
a year or so ago a new version of "Combat" was released under the Infogrames name rather than the Atari one.
A buddy of mine is really into the 'retro-gaming' that's going on. He's got several different 2600 consoles and a few hundred original cartridges.

One of them is CombatII. I don't think it's the one you're talking about since this one is kind of a labor of love from a couple retrogaming programmers.

There was only a few hundred cartridges of CombatII made and, he got 2 of 'em. Bought them at some classic gaming convention. I think he said they sold out quick.

The game's pretty damn cool! Nice to see this stuff still has a pulse, even after all these years.

But calling Infogrames, "Atari", doesn't mean shit to me. There was, and will always be, THE one and only Atari.

...just my $0.02 worth.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's two "Combat II"s First, there's a 2600 prototype that was released in 2001. Then there's "Combat II Advanced", which was made by homebrewers for the 5200 (and can be purchased here.

Infogrames made an updated "Combat" for the PC that was evidently 3-D and had on-line play and required more computer than I have; they released it (alongside an updated "Ms. Pac-Man" and "Dig Dug Deeper") in late 2001, but didn't use the Atari name.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
They've been using the Atari name on everything but Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune for awhile now. This isn't really going to make things any different.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Why can't Atari just die in peace so that the memory of the Jaguar won't be tarnished?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks