What's new

Info on Denon DVM-4800 DVD-A/V Player (1 Viewer)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
This player is supposed to have DVD-Audio bass management. Anyone have the details, crossover, digital or analog etc?
I've been all over Denon's web site. I can't find a customer service e-mail or even an 800 number anywhere. Am I blind or does Denon really give prospective buyers the cold shoulder?

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed
Here's a link to their offices. You can call and get any questions anwered if you'd like. While your at it, I also suggest asking them if the "new mpeg2 decoder" emplyed in the player suggest that it is chroma-bug free? I have a feeling that it may be.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
(delete) got double posted
[Edited last by Craig F on August 08, 2001 at 07:44 PM]

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I contacted Denon Customer Service and obtained the following info.
No Chroma Bug
DVD-Audio Bass Management:
* Done digitally
* Does not remove any bass from the satellites. It extracts bass from the satellites, sums it and adds it to the SW channel, duplicating the bass.
* He was not sure what frequency range was duplicated to the SW. He thought it was around 200 Hz.
[Edited last by Craig F on August 08, 2001 at 07:45 PM]

Darryl_B

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,
To me, this sounds similar to what Denon uses on their receivers to obtain a subwoofer output from the analog inputs in "Direct" mode. Having it in the player though means the signal remains digital throughout the bass management. Not bad, in my opinion.
It's also nice to know that the player is going to be chroma -bug free. I think Denon is going to soon make a strong come-back in the DVD player market soon (after recovering from the Denon 2800 issues). They seem to be really leaning towards developing high-end products with some features based on consumer feedback.
Speaking of the 2800, there also still appears to be something interesting going on at Denon with this player too. However, I can't really discuss it on the net yet because I'm still trying to get confirmation and details.
The DVD4800 sounds like it may very well be a great performer.

Andrew P

Second Unit
What is the price for this unit? I think dvd players are getting to the point of $500-$700 for high end picture quality (obviously not build quality) my opinion of course, but I dont see myself spending upwards of $1,000 on any dvd player in the near future unlike 1-2 years ago when I would spend that in a heartbeat unless of course there is a substantial upgrade in picture quality.
I am greatful to Denon for releasing the 2800 because I think Panasonic was influenced with their RP91 quality and price. Hopefully another company will come along with a newer player that will push the prices even further down.
I am old school though, because I dont believe in multi-cd/dvd changers. I like to have separates for everything. That is probably the major reason why I will not give the new Kenwoods a look. Ill try one out for review purposes like I always do, but I dont think ill be purchasing one of those unless the picture quality really surpases my current player.
Andy

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
I believe the list price is $1200. I do not know what street prices typically are for Denon. I also wish there was a single disc version. I hate those big 5 disc drawers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks