What's new

Info on Bond 5.1 remasters.... (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I won't be buying... I have my versions of Bond on DVD. I'll wait till HD-DVD to upgrade, thanks very much :)

EDIT: WHOA! I'm the first post? That's weird! :D

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articl...red.php3?t=&s=

In the link is a description how they made 5.1 tracks out of soundtracks up to 40 years old.

DVD Dossier

Completed: "You Only Live Twice", "Diamonds Are Forever", "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

Pending: "Live And Let Die", "Dr. No", "From Russia With Love", "Goldfinger", "Thunderball", "The Man With The Golden Gun".

Formats: 5.1 Dolby Digital, original mono soundtrack, possible *DTS track on some titles.

Release Date: Expected late 2005. Official press release from MGM expected soon. DVD reissue may be timed to coincide with the release of Bond 21 in cinemas.
*Edited to clear up a bonehead mistake from the original link.

Britton

Screenwriter
If it's true that these remastered DVDs will also have the mono tracks, you can count me in whenever these come out.

MikeHughes

Agent
what is the point in remixing soundtracks, that were never meant to be in surround(20 years and older)? Remixed in DTS, to boot. :rolleyes:
As if it would make any difference compared to a solid mono track. :thumbsdown:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only Bond I want that's not currently on remastered DVD is "The Living Daylights."

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The problem with the current classic Bond discs is that the negatives for most of them are in pretty bad shape (not considering the lousy compression jobs).

Besides the audio remixes the negatives must be painstakingly restored. Not just the U.S. cuts, but the full uncensored European versions that the U.S. has never seen before.

I'd be willing to double dip then.

Dan

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
One benefit of this remastering program is that after Dr. No, the scores were originally recorded in stereo, which would be nice to hear for the first time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Besides the audio remixes the negatives must be painstakingly restored. Not just the U.S. cuts, but the full uncensored European versions that the U.S. has never seen before.
I think it was stated a while ago in another Bond thread that the films WOULD be fully restored.

Anyone who has seen Goldfinger on the SE DVD would likely enjoy a better looking transfer and film element.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
My understanding is that this is going to be a big upgrade for the James Bond series - all the older movies being properly restored and 5.1 mixes too. I wonder if the more recent films will have DTS to encourage people to upgrade them. It seems a bit pointless of having DTS for the older films.

I'm guessing that the main reason is to create new transfers for HD-DVD and fully retoring them, then downconverting for DVD. I'm sticking by my prediction of HD-DVD by 2006.

Like Die another day they may all be released as 2 disk releases.

What would be interesting is if they expand on the extras too. John Cork did a great job with the current special editions - anyone know if he has commented that there's a lot of material left over?
Some of the material in the audio commentaries sounded like they were actually from interviews so maybe they can be shown visually.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Not just the U.S. cuts, but the full uncensored European versions that the U.S. has never seen before.
I've heard you say this many times...where exactly did you get this info from? I have never heard this anywhere. Not that I don't believe you.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
For some reason I had been holding off on getting any of the Bond movies. I also didn't understand why some were out of print and I was even thinking of starting a thread about it. Now I know why! And I'm glad I've held off. I'd really like to get You Only Live Twice, which to my knowledge was never available on DVD. I guess I can wait a couple of years knowing better versions are on the way.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Correction Gary. You Only Live Twice was released...I own a copy. It was on the third wave on the first release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks