What's new

Infinity speaker grill painting? (1 Viewer)

Bobby S

Grip
I just bought an Infinity IL-25 center channel speaker off eBay sight unseen. I now have discovered that the grill on this is not black, but silver/platinum. As all my other Infinity speakers have black grills and I want this one to match, the dealer I am buying from suggested spray-painting the grill black to match the rest of the set. My question is- will this affect the performance of the speaker in any way, shape, or form. And is it practical to do this? Or should I just live with the silver grill? Thanks. Bob

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Is this a cloth grill or some type of molded grill.

It is my understanding that a speaker will sound better without a grill. I do not think I am bright enough to be able to tell the difference but if you buy into that then painting could make a difference.

If it has cloth then I would say painting would make a HUGE difference as the weave would become "clogged" and the sound would have to travel around and not through...I guess.:b

Phil

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Bobby,
The Interlude series do not have a black grill cover. They come stock with the Platinum, but Burgandy and Midnight Blue are also available. The Midnight Blue looks almost black. I happen to have brand new Burgandy and Midnight Blue grills for the IL25C that I will send you if you want them. Just email me your address and I will put them in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks