Infinity speaker grill painting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bobby S, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Bobby S

Bobby S Extra

I just bought an Infinity IL-25 center channel speaker off eBay sight unseen. I now have discovered that the grill on this is not black, but silver/platinum. As all my other Infinity speakers have black grills and I want this one to match, the dealer I am buying from suggested spray-painting the grill black to match the rest of the set. My question is- will this affect the performance of the speaker in any way, shape, or form. And is it practical to do this? Or should I just live with the silver grill? Thanks. Bob

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Is this a cloth grill or some type of molded grill.

It is my understanding that a speaker will sound better without a grill. I do not think I am bright enough to be able to tell the difference but if you buy into that then painting could make a difference.

If it has cloth then I would say painting would make a HUGE difference as the weave would become "clogged" and the sound would have to travel around and not through...I guess.:b

Phil

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Bobby,
    The Interlude series do not have a black grill cover. They come stock with the Platinum, but Burgandy and Midnight Blue are also available. The Midnight Blue looks almost black. I happen to have brand new Burgandy and Midnight Blue grills for the IL25C that I will send you if you want them. Just email me your address and I will put them in the mail.