What's new

Infinity Interlude opinions needed (mainly IL40 or 60) (1 Viewer)

Well, I did a search here and found several happy owners of Infinity Interludes (a glowing review in a magazine got my attention), but I kinda have some specific questions...
I was looking at getting a PSB Image system, but I can't find anyone in my area that carries them (Jacksonville, Fl.), and since I don't drive, going a few hundred miles to hear them is kinda hard to do. In a few reviews/opinions, it said that they were also a bit light on the mid-range, so I'm kinda looking for other speaker systems...
Back to the Infinity part... I'm going to go and give them a listen tomorrow night, but I was curious about the IL60's powered subs vs the IL-40's price point. Are the subs good? I'm kinda interested in that RABOS system, my room has some strange properties and I think it could help slash some of that boom without totally killing the bass. The IL40s include the same 3-way passive setup, no subs. Crutchfield has the 60s at $1999/pair and the 40s at $999/pr. I figured the integrated subs might make a better impact in music (music listening is my main reason for upgrading, I have a DefTech ProCinema setup now, it's fun for movies, but they don't play music like I'd want them to). Either way, if it wasn't really enough bass, I could add a small SVS to the room in the future, if I went after the 60's, I figure their 2 subs and an SVS would be enough to conquer worlds and make stars collide. I still fear that an SVS might be too much for my room based on the reviews, I've never heard one in person.
Anyways, I never figured that I'd look at Infinity, but after reading review upon review about their current line-up, from the Prelude MTS, to the Intermezzo and to the Interludes, it seems that they are quite the speakers. Any input, good or bad would be appreciated!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Well Travis I dont know if anyone else on this board owns the Infinity IL-60's besides myself but here is what I think.
1) THEY ARE HEAVY :) hehehe
Really they are heavy but that is because of the 12" subs and amps integrated into the speakers. Overall I have been very happy with them and really dont have anything to complain about. Of course I am always looking for something new in speakers and am looking to sidegrade over to the Paradigm Studio 100's and upgrade to an SVS or 2 :) .
I personally feel that the RABOS system is a great idea, though a major pain in the ass to get set perfectly. Once set right the speakers are extremely musical and have plenty of impact when the sub levels are turned up (Will easily shake the house).
The 60's are well worth the money over the 40's in my opinion (By the way that is a great price). Go to your local Circuit City if you want to see them in person then go to Crutchfield to buy. let me know if you need anymore info as I would be glad to help.
KyleS

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Travis,
I personally decided against the IL60s and went with the IL40s instead because IMHO a separate sub is better. But that's just my personal preference. I does save you some space if you go with the IL60s. I didn't have much space to put in something like an SVS or the IL120 but I decided to go with the Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior by Bob Carver. I think that the setup rocks. I think that you won't go wrong either way. Interludes are awesome. So, basically the choice is totally in your hands.
~Donovan

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I auditioned the IL40, and was hoping it would have enough power to go down low enough for me to get by without a subwoofer for a while, but it was a bit disappointing. Perhaps they were underpowered by my HK AVR 510 receiver, but they just didn't provide nearly as much bass as I would expect out of ANY tower speaker... a subwoofer would be a DEFINITE necessity if you go this route

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
THere was some guy selling a system in the clasifides area. It was a great deal. go search
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

KyleS

Screenwriter
That was me selling my system Evan
wink.gif

Travis YGM
KyleS

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Travis,
I'd skip the Infinities. My 4.0s gave more detail than they did and had a much bigger soundstage. There was simply no comparison. For $1K, you could get the 4.0 package and the Sony sub. However, you could also get a pair of 4.0s and an Audio Adire Rava and they would be much better than the Infinities. The IL60s had more of a boomy bass rather than the refined bass of a SVS. If you are searching for towers, look at some ACI Opals, Paradigm Studio 60s, Swan Diva 5.1s, nOrh Prism 6.9s, B&W DM603 s2, or something else along those lines. Those speakers should walk all over the Infinities, especially at those given price points. Look at what Sound Advice has or visit some other specialty audio shops in Jacksonville. There is much better out there for the money.

Well, I went and listened to the IL40s and 60s, and I liked them, but I don't know if I could justify the cost. They sound good, but they didn't really make me all warm and fuzzy like my old B&W's did.
I think I may go back to a B&W setup. Being that I do only have a Yamaha HTR5280, it kinda rules out the higher end like the 805s and CDMNT stuff. I'm eyeing higher-end receivers (along the lines of the B&K AVR307 or the Denon 5800), but that's still off into the future. They had the new line of CM series, I'm not familiar with them, but they sounded quite wonderful, I tried out the CM4. It's a good deal smaller than the 603S2, but it seemed to have a crisper, fresher sound (sorry if my audio lingo is strange). Not quite as much deep bass, but I have my heart set on the smallest SVS, and with the difference in prices (SA had the CM4 at $749/pair, but they always have that buy one, get the other 1/2 off for repeat customers), I should be able to afford the sub right off the bat. I think it and it's counterparts (CM2 for surrounds and CMC center) would do quite well in my room. The 603S2s, LCRS2 were very large, they just seemed to take over. Once I saw those Infinity IL60s in person, thay became an issue too...
Anyways, when it comes down to it, I was rather happy with my previous B&W setup, and I think I'd like to go and give it another chance. Really, I only sold the other speakers because someone offered me a little more than I paid for them, and the size kinda bothered me.
[Edited last by Travis Braddy on August 28, 2001 at 10:32 PM]

I to was looking at the IL-40's for the front stage of a home theater system and I also read the review you are refering to which I believe was in Sound & Vision Magazine a few months back. I was also strongly considering the Polk 1000rti, the Def Tec 2006 and the B&W 603's. I actually found this forum because I was searching for as much info as I could find on these speakers. In searching the net I came across a tread that pointed my towards another board where there was a thread about the Swan Divas. I wound up spending about 2 hours reading the thread and wound up with a pair of the 5.1 Divas and I got to tell you for what I paid there is nothing in this price range or the above mentioned speakers that even comes close the the Divas as far build quality goes and the way these speakers look. The Divas are 899 a pair and avs123 had them on sale for 699, delivered to my front door they were $810.00. That is almost 200 bucks cheaper and believe me they are much better in the looks department and build department, as for sound, I can not really make a fair comparison as I dont have them sitting side by side, nor am I an audio expert. I however do have a friend who is a B&W owner and he was extremly impressed with these speakers. One thing I have noticed about speakers and their owners is every one wants the home team to win, if a guy has Paradigms he naturally wants to stear you to Paradigms, so on and so forth, I am not different. I want folks to look at these speakers and buy them. If you have any questions about them you can even email the President of the company Mark and he will email you back and give you his phone#. To me that is impresive. What ever you end up with dont rush into it, that might cost you more in the long run. Good luck with you search.
Scott
spm21
[Edited last by Patrick Scott on August 28, 2001 at 10:53 PM]
[Edited last by Patrick Scott on August 28, 2001 at 10:54 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks