What's new

Incredible features on cheap 14" TV (1 Viewer)

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not one to get excited about small screen stuff, but this blew my mind.

I have had a 13" Magnavox set next to my PC for years, used mostly as a video monitor or just to keep the news in the background while I'm working on the PC. I orignally bought it as part of a VHS editing setup. I have been taking a lot of DVD-based training on Adobe software and it finally occurred to me to hook up a spare DVD player to that set rather than jumping between the DVD and the software I'm studying on the PC. I wasn't happy with the video quality on the Magnavox so I went shopping.

I wound up buying a Toshiba 14AF43 at Best Buy for $160 because it had a nice flat-screen picture and multiple AV inputs. When I hooked it up and started playing around with it, I couldn't believe what I got for the money. Here's some of it:

Two sets of rear AV inputs, one with S-video, one with component (of course this is an analog set and the component inputs need 480i)
One set of rear AV outputs
One set of front AV inputs (composite only)
Front headphone jack
Stereo sound with SAP
16:9 squeeze mode
Remote control that works with my JVC VCR and Pioneer DVD player
V-chip (yawn), channel lock, and a VIDEO lock that locks all AV inputs as well as channels 3 and 4.
On/Off Timer
A game timer that turns on the video lock after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes[/list]
Not exactly what you want in your HT system, but it's perfect for what I need and I thought I'd post this because it lookes really good for a kid's room (the game timer would be a real blessing). And the price is right.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And I bet the picture quality rocks on that thing. It's amazing how good small, standard-def TVs from reputable manufacturers look. Plus, the 16:9 mode probably looks almost as good as prog-scan when it's that small.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
And I'll bet it would make a nice monitor for using with a Receiver's Menu System to make adjustments especially with a Projection setup where the Component Video Output won't pass the Receiver's Menu to the Projector. What I think is really funny is that it took Toshiba forever to add the 16:9 Mode to their sets & when they finally did they went crazy with it & added it to every Flat Tube set that they make ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks