What's new

In Memoriam: Best Brando on DVD... (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Brando's Sayonara as well as Guys and Dolls were released in R2 some time after their R1 counterparts - and both with anamorphic transfers. Does anyone have an opinion on those? Basen is down right now... .

Also, did anyone see the transfer of the R2 Nightcomers?

Thanks,

S

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and: Missouri Breaks will be released in R2 this month - apparently in anamorphic 1.85:1 - did anyone hear about this?

Is there any official word on Viva Zapata from Fox?

Thanks,

S

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I bought the Guys and Dolls dvd. I already have a few pan and scan laserdiscs of it and two different letterbox versions. The last thx was particularly good.
the dvd I returned the same day I bought it. It looks terrible and the colors are all wrong, looking nothing like the film at all. Sound is also nowhere near as good as the lasers.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

On the former I've heard that the transfer leaves much to be desired, so I'll probably leave it and see what transpires in R1. On the latter, it's also out in R2, and is rumoured to be coming to R1 in the Fox Studio Classics range.

Real Name
Anthony
I'm quite keen to see BEDTIME STORY and I was just about to ask whether it was available when I noticed that it's coming out in R2 UK on July 19th. Unfortunately, it's through Orbit Media, who are a crappy public domain outfit, and who have been responsible for many a crime against DVD.

So is there any news of an R1 disc on the horizon ?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Last year it was announced along with NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY but both were canceled. NIGHT was just released in May so perhaps Universal will release it soon. They also own THE APPALOOSA, which isn't on DVD yet.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Two brilliant Brando performances that need to be released on DVD are Reflections In A Golden Eye and Mutiny On The Bounty. Reflections was ahead of its time and most critics today give it a much higher evaluation than critics did at the time of its release although Pauline Kael championed the film and Brando's performance.

I'm fortunate enough to own the Paramount wide screen laser disc of One Eyed Jacks which will do nicely until Paramount gives it a "legitimate" DVD release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks