What's new

In light of everything I got all of my equipment in today..... (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
To begin Im 20 years old and I'm a wharehouse assc. at Circuit City ( please dont spit on me, I had nothing to do with DIVX
wink.gif
. Alot of the guys, I agree are morons that work there. However there are some who truly do try to help people. Anyway, I just got my last piece of equipment for my home theater!!!!!!!!. My 20-39 came in today and I'm completely happy!!! Havent hooked it up yet as I'm a few days away from purchasing a Sampson amp. However, I do have other stuff set up and being one of the younger people on the board ( I believe ) I think I'm pretty happy. My system as follows.
Polk 400i center
" " 800i fronts
" " FX300i rears
Onkyo 595 reciever
Panasonic-56 DVD
27" Sony Vega (or is it Wega?)
Considering what I payed for it (cost) I'm totally satisfied in the way it sounds. MIT Terminator 4 cable all around with the center bi-wired. I think Im going to get the better cables brand speaker cable for my sub that Ron and Tod were talking about. My Room measures 12.8ft x 8ft x 16.8ft. Its not very large and I think the 20-39 should fill it out nicely. Ive got it in a corner all by itself. Pics to come. For this being my first home system I think I did ok! Whatcha think?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Your room is very similar to my room in dimensions. My room is 12 x 14.5'
I'll be curious to see how yours is set up. I will let you know when I have mine set up. Just getting the speakers and stuff.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Everything is set up in my room now, I'll try and get some pics up later. Whats the current setup you have??

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Love to see the reactions of your friends and coworkers if/when you invite them over to demo your system. I imagine the big attention getter will be the sub.
wink.gif
(Perhaps you should demo it at your store. :))You have an excellent system there!

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
No kidding. My boss thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he just bought a Polk PSW650HG. Now dont get me wrong, I like polk speakers, but the subs just seem weak to me. The finish on it is very nice. He was talking about how nobody in the store could compete with his sub, I was like " Come over in a few days and see!!" I just ordered the Samson 700!! Should be here next week.

John Gates

Second Unit
My boss thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he just bought a Polk PSW650HG. Now dont get me wrong, I like polk speakers, but the subs just seem weak to me. The finish on it is very nice. He was talking about how nobody in the store could compete with his sub, I was like " Come over in a few days and see!!"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As the owner of 2 20-39's I can safely say your boss will be selling to upgrade and your co-workers will be impressed. I have a 16x27 room, and I had to dial my 20-39's back to -15 DB for balanced calibration with everything else. At -9 db, it's about right for HT.
For someone 20 years old (or any age, for that matter), you have a wonderful system there! I wish I had something 1/4 as good when I was 20! I'm 35 now, and i just bought my HT stuff this year (the audio part, anyway) after a very long wait. TV is coming in February, hopefully.
Have fun!
John
------------------
System:
Onkyo 787
Mains: nOrh SM 6.9 (shipping NOW)
Center: nOrh marble 4.0
Surrounds: nOrh wood 4.0
Rear Center: nOrh prism 4.1
Subwoofers: 2 x SVS 20-39 CS w/Fidek Amp
Pics: http://www.geocities.com/givinit2him/

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Oddly enough he may still think his sub is better. The reason probably will be due to his thinking boomy = good, as opposed to the deep, clean, low bass the SVS will put out. Your ears may need adjustment but kick back, relax, and watch the movies. :)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I don't think boomy stands much of a chance against a punch in the stomach. If I were you and I knew my audience would be biased, I might calibrate the sub a little high to suit their tastes, as long as I know I'm trying to impress someone. I've heard too many accounts of people listening to properly calibrated systems with excellent subwoofers and shaking their heads and going "There's no bass, you should have bought a Bose system". Alternatively, get a bass test CD with someone speaking out the frequencies while they play... then give that to your boss and let him try it in his system and see how far down it goes.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the 650 sounds extremely boomy yet it is quite loud. Its strange to see him demo it to people and say, "listen to all the bass from the ports and such". Im thinking, "God listen to the port noise and distortion!?!". To its credit, at lower levels , far, far, far below ref. its sounds quite nice and flat, but crank a little and the sound colors like no other. I also thought it used to sound good but then went over to a neighbors with a 20-39 and discovered what real bass sounds like and new that minute i had to have one. I'm still working on getting some things messed with but should have pics up soon. Ive thought about the fact that diff people have different tastes and decided to run the sub hot over the mains when showing other people.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
One more thing, Ive messed with several subs, including the 650 at work, moving them around all over the room and such, and it seems hardly any of them go very low at all. At certain freq. they play hella loud, but it seems alot of them roll off about 30-35hz or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks