What's new

Impressions of HDMI upconversion via SP4805 (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Hey everyone.

I'm loving my HD-A1! I had waffled about upgrading since my display device is the InFocus Screeplay 4805, which is not a HD projector, neither does it have HDMI inputs. Upon getting some opinions, I took the plunge and have been blown away by the 10801 image downconverted to the projector's native resolution by means of component video. Thus far, I've only watched standard def DVDs over the component video cables. I'm curious as to how much improvement these standard def discs will receive by way of the HD upconversion feature of the HD-A1. I welcome any opinions, suggestions, facts, theories, and discussion. I would need to purchase an M1 to HDMI converter, but they can be bought on eBay for ~$30.

Thanx in advance!

D

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dad

There is a separate section of the Forum for discussion of HD Dvd and Blu Ray. You should be able to get an answer sooner at one of those sections of the Forum.

Happy Holidays

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Hi Arthur,

Yeah this might get better traffic in the HD Hardware section. I just thought I'd try the Display Devices section because of my projector.

Mods, feel free to forward this thread to the HD Hardware area.

D

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had thought that the upconversion of standard def dvd's was via hdmi only and NOT component for the HD-A1. Someone correct me if wrong though.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Neil,

That is correct. Sorry for the confusion. I'm interested in others' impressions of the HD-A1's upconverted image quality of standard def DVDs by way of HDMI. In particular, owners of the SP4805. Is it a marked improvement and worth going for?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
these screenshots might be useful As you can see, hd upconversion is not exactly hd.

If you have access to a non copy protected dvd, or can make one (preferably with test patterns), you might be able to see the effects of upconversion. If you have it lying around, Digital Video Essentials might fit the bill-- the packaging doesn't mention copy protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks